Help building latest radeon driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glock24 View Post
    I just updated to the latest git master code, and the Firefox background image corruption I reported earlier seems to be fixed.

The performance on some sites that make use of flash is still very poor though.
    The adobe flash plugin uses GLSL for acceleration which is not yet supported by the open source drivers.

Comment

I resumed the computer from suspend, and I felt the fan was running unusually fast, I fired up powertop and it was reporting 32W of power usage! I think the video card to be the culprit, as no other component makes so much difference in power consumption. I assume waking from sleep puts the video card in full clock speed, restarting X caused the "bloom" effect, so I had to restart the computer. After this, power usage was a more acceptable 18W-20W.

BTW, I did some power usage measurement with fglrx, and consumption was 15-16W.
      Last edited by glock24; 19 June 2009, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I have the latest git code as of yesterday, and now the "blooming" happens every time, not once in a while randomly as it did before.

When opening a terminal after X has been started results in the "blooming".

Comment

I don't think I've seen this blooming. I think you first mentioned it happened on shutting down X. Now it happens more often?

Is it permanent, or at least until you exit and restart X, or is it transient, i.e. only lasting a short time?

Can you provide a picture?

Considering you've altered the src to reduce power, is it possible you're not giving your card enough power and that might be what is causing the blooming.

Is it possible your card is overheating?

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
            Now it happens more often?
            Yes, it happens most of the time now. Before it was very rare.

Is it permanent, or at least until you exit and restart X, or is it transient, i.e. only lasting a short time?
            Switching to a console or shutting down X causes the blooming. It does not get fixed until I switch back to X (or restart the computer).

Can you provide a picture?
            I'll post a picture as soon as I get a camera.

Considering you've altered the src to reduce power, is it possible you're not giving your card enough power and that might be what is causing the blooming.

Is it possible your card is overheating?
            I reduced the clocks, so the card does not overheat. I did not touch anything about voltages.

EDIT: Here are some very bad cell phone pictures

Last edited by glock24; 12 July 2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I've never seen this. I'm using an hd3200 (780g integrated).

For a while (many months ago) I saw kind of reverse pixel (but in character blocks) when exiting X. It was either because I didn't adequately uninstall Catalyst (fglrx) or because they improved the radeonhd code (I was never sure which). I doubt your problem is purely the radeon driver and you might consider the age/type of your distribution, kernel, with how you installed drivers. Sorry not more help.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                @Glock: btw, the above link (I can only see from google cache) is for the radeon driver (xf86-video-ati). You also probably need the mesa git and the 3d branch from drm git from agd5f. See here. Devs will hopefully correct if this is wrong.

Comment

I followed the instructions at http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon as mentioned by forum1793 and everything compiled and installed OK. I then rebooted and restarted X, but could see no change. glxgears was still always on top of all other windows and didn't draw in the compiz cube. Everything worked, but it looked just the same as the old driver.

The xorg.0.log showed the ati driver being loaded from /local/xorg/lib/xorg/modules. Do I need to do extra things, e.g. xorg.conf changes, to make DRI2 work.

I am using mandriva 2009.1 with kernel 2.6.30-2mdv.

Comment

Working...
                  X