Ubuntu packages for radeon-rewrite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu packages for radeon-rewrite

So according to http://airlied.livejournal.com/66515.html the mesa radeon-rewrite branch will be merged to master in a few weeks. It can probably need some testing, and I guess many people are (like me) curious to test it out. To simplify things for those on Ubuntu, I have set up a package repository at https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon

Tormod

Thank you. Excellent timing
    Test signature

Comment

Cool!

I tried these just now tormod. How can I file bugs?

Running Radeon X1950 (r570), compiz enabled, dual head. Any compiz effect (sometimes even on login) would crash X and put me back to the login screen.

Comment

Originally posted by fermulator View Post
        Cool!

Running Radeon X1950 (r570), compiz enabled, dual head. Any compiz effect (sometimes even on login) would crash X and put me back to the login screen.
        Problem might be that you need new ddx (xorg-video-ati) and drm to have it working stable in ubuntu jaunty.

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
          Problem might be that you need new ddx (xorg-video-ati) and drm to have it working stable in ubuntu jaunty.
          Ah, and of course the latest isn't upstream yet. Is there anywhere I can read about this sort of stuff? I'm new to the "inner workings" of these things, but would like to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by fermulator View Post
            Cool!
            I think I wrote that on the PPA page
            I have a similar problem, check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old and see if it is the same backtrace as in http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21582

As for suokko's comment, did you also get -ati/-radeon driver from my PPA, karmic kernel and libdrm2 from xorg-edgers as suggested on the PPA page?

Comment

Don't forget that radeon-rewrite is designed to operate in two different environments :

- with existing (aka legacy) drm and X driver, it uses old-style fixed memory areas and user-space memory management

- with a drm supporting KMS + GEM/TTM and a KMS-compatible X driver, it makes full use of the drm's memory manager

The cool thing about radeon-rewrite is that it can do *both* of these while using the same 3D code, so most bugs don't have to be fixed in two places.

If you are running a new drm and X driver but force modesetting off at boot time, the drm driver disables GEM/TTM and then both radeon-rewrite (mesa) and the X driver should fall back to legacy operation.

I'm not sure about the bug reporting status either, unfortunately.
              Test signature

Comment

I also seem to get randomly kicked out to gdm login.
                I am using jaunty with 2.6.29.1 kernel and ati drivers from from tormod volden ppa.

dmesg is gives a bunch of errors like:
                [ 2142.332570] [drm:drm_unlocked_ioctl] *ERROR* ret = 57 -4
                and
                [ 2136.375987] Too big adjustment 32

I'm not sure which drm i should use with the radeon-rewrite packages.
                Do i need to compile the modesetting branch from git?

i would like to try kms + gem if they are somewhat stable but im not sure what i need to do to enable it.

Comment

Awesome.
                  When it doesn't crash X, everything is amazingly fast.
                  The crashes seem to be when direct rendering is enabled. When disabled, everything works sweet and stable as.

I pulled in all the recommended packages (kernel, mesa stuff, drm, radeon driver).

Comment

Since radeon-rewrite is supposed to replace the stock mesa, it should work as well with your current setups as the old mesa. Otherwise it is a bug. Newer kernel, driver, drm is not necessary, but is suggested for testing since some bugs might have been fixed there.

But in the first place, just installing these mesa-packages should be enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X