Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Of The Changes For GNOME 2.27.1

Phoronix: A Few Of The Changes For GNOME 2.27.1

The first development release of GNOME 2.28 was supposed to be out at the end of April per its release schedule, but it's now slowly coming together. There are many bug-fixes and translation updates in the packages checked in so far for this first GNOME 2.28 development release (a.k.a...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OCR for Evince. _VERY_COOL_.

I know a number of people that would be happy to see that.

Comment

its cool if it will work....

I havent yet seen a decent ocr for linux.....

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
        I havent yet seen a decent ocr for linux.....

It's a matter of fact that there isn't any free (to use) ocr software available at all, yet.

Comment

Damn, ocr is indeed sweet. Might be the first Gnome-application I'd want to use. :/

Comment

Wouldn't OCR be of more use in a scanning app than a pdf/dvju/etc viewer?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Wouldn't OCR be of more use in a scanning app than a pdf/dvju/etc viewer?
              I agree. OCR is probably most used when scanning new documents.

Comment

AFAIK the OCR idea for Evince is to be able to copy and search text in documents which consists of an image (such as TIFF). It will probably also be very useful for screen readers and other a11y tools.
                See http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=389277

I'm not sure where the plans to include this in 2.28 is mentioned though?

Comment

Everyone is forgetting Tesseract

The Gocr program is awful(it really needs to change its backend), but with a little search you'll find a handful of ocr progs that can work reasonably well.
                  This guy provides a nice roundup. I've got Tesseract running on my Suse(Gnome) and it works quite well. However, what is really needed is a preprocessing library that cleans up the images. That is what the fellows over in Japan have done with an online ocr prog called WeOcr.
                  BTW, I wonder if the ocr/Evince work incorporated this.
                  Slightly off topic but I'm really crossing my fingers for Gnome-Do incorporation into 3.0.

Best,
                  Liam

Comment

The first development release of GNOME 2.28 was supposed to be out at the end of April per its release schedule, but it's now slowly coming together. There are many bug-fixes and translation updates in the packages checked in so far for this first GNOME 2.28 development release (a.k.a. GNOME 2.27.1), but there are a few items worth pointing out.

Starting out with GNOME's Cheese program for controlling web-cameras, it now has support for brightness, contrast, saturation, and hue adjustments. Cheese also has an improved preferences dialog. For photographs, Eye of GNOME has a slightly improved user interface as with GCalctool, which has switched from a Glade UI to GtkBuilder.

When it comes to games, GNOME Games now has a hard dependency on Clutter as these desktop games begin to use this API to interface with OpenGL and OpenGL ES. The Lasem library has come about in GNOME to replace GMathml and also serve as an SVG renderer.

Some of the planned changes for GNOME 2.28 but not fully implemented yet include OCR (Optical Character Recognition) support for the Evince Document Viewer, web-camera support in GNOME Media, and several new themes
                    ================
                    Get Cash Online
                    Free Credit Report Online

Comment

Working...
                    X