Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[HD3650] radeonhd ver. 1.2.5 no X, whole bunch of new error messages in Xorg.0.log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HD3650] radeonhd ver. 1.2.5 no X, whole bunch of new error messages in Xorg.0.log

Good morning everyone,

I installed xf86-video-radeonhd ver. 1.2.5 via git on my Toshiba Satellite A350-12D/Ubuntu 9.04, because fglrx did not work for me, but starting the machine with Driver "radeonhd" does not work either. All I get is a bash promt and a whole bunch of new error messages in Xorg.0.log.

lspci says:

Code:
    lspci | grep ATI ->
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV635 Audio device [Radeon HD 3600 Series]
    Why is the videocard also an audiodevice?

Anyway, here is a best of from the error messages:

Code:
    (EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdAtomLvdsDDC: unknown record type: b8            
    (EE) RADEONHD(0): D1CRTCDisable: Failed to Unsync CRTC 1             
    (EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdAllIdle: unable to stop CRTC: cannot idle MC 

Fatal server error:
    AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
    	 at http://wiki.x.org
     for help. 
    Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
    And the whole Xorg.0.log is in the pastebin.

I hope, someone can help me out.

Yours, kw

Looking at the log now... whoa, that blew up real good. Don't think I have seen that failure before. Suggest you join the radeonhd mailing list and post a link to your log there.

http://en.opensuse.org/Mailing_Lists

The 6xx-and-higher GPUs include an HD Audio controller so that you can get audio and video combined on a single HDMI output connector. That way you don't have to externally patch an audio signal from your mobo or sound card back into the video card.

EDIT - this is the same system where the radeon driver blew up thinking you had 4GB of video ram, isn't it ? If so, pls mention that in the mailing list post.

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by bridgman; 05 May 2009, 12:42 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

Did that, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I think this is an issue with how the bios sets up mtrrs with 4 GB of ram installed. try removing 2 GB and I bet it will work.

Comment

You are right, it works, but, for obvious reasons, I don't like that solution...

Xorg.0.log for that case can be found here.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            I think this is an issue with how the bios sets up mtrrs with 4 GB of ram installed. try removing 2 GB and I bet it will work.
            Hmm, would you say this is a BIOS bug and if so, what do you think a workaround should be? Can the kernel work around faulty BIOS MTRR information and setup something more useful? God, I'm so full of questions today...

Comment

There is some additional discussion on the radeonhd mailing list. Apparently there is a kernel boot option to clean up the MTRR values.

http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2.../msg00070.html
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X