Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG Ventures Into Linux Malware Protection

Phoronix: AVG Ventures Into Linux Malware Protection

While anti-virus and anti-malware is not much of a problem on Linux at this time, AVG has added this anti-malware protection to their Linux security software. AVG has supported Linux for sometime when it comes to virus and spam protection, but with version 8.5 they have expanded their anti-malware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And what exactly is this good for?

Comment

This is *the* thing that Windows users miss! Now they can all switch, because the resource-demanding antivirus, antispam and anti-malware are all there!

Comment

An absolute pile of shit for sure. The theory might be that even tho the virus's don't infect linux they could be shared with a windows computer and get infected.

So maybe you have some windows desktops an a linux file server and want to have it be able to scan itself for viruses, makes sense..

But fuck that anyway..

Comment

lol they don't even have it in 64bit flavour. total trash. Maybe they exchanged Linux for Windows?

Comment

Anti-Hacking

The biggest security problem on Linux as I see it is hacking. Especially on servers.

IMO automated scripts like worms, viruses or other forms of malware is difficult to create for the Linux ecosystem since there's a lot of diversity. But manual hacking is a lot easier.

There's a lot of great tools out there (snort comes to mind, rootkit removal programs and the usual diagnostics like nmap and the like). What I want is some sort of "super-application", preferable with a GUI, that combines all these different techniques (IDS, IPS, rootkit detection and removal, firewall, user accounts, block root on SSH, sudo management, etc, etc, etc)

A really nice security suite for Linux. One interface to handle all your security issues. Of course you can add malware and virus stuff just in case if we would ever have to deal with that in the future.

Right now it's more or less a mess. You have to keep track of a lot of different applications and scripts, set them up one by one and reading the logs is awful.

So, is there anyone in here how knows if there's some effort on creating such an application for Linux? I would prefer some network support so that I can use my desktop computer in Sweden with a GUI to manage the X-less server in Canada.

If I did not already have another project on my hands I would totally start something like this. But it's big and would take a lot of time. Maybe there's already a great project to expand upon?

All tips are welcome.
            Last edited by ephracis; 04 May 2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I have two words: btrFS and Sub-volumes

Sub-volumes is a btrFS feature that makes a directory pretend to be /.

The commercial SSH have this feature, so users can't escape from their user directory.

But having this in the FS, seams like the right solution.

Comment

@curaga, oneman, bulletxt: Gee, what a level-headed discussion we're having here. (NOT)

@RealNC: This is good for not having to boot into Windows whenever your Windows-using friends hand you an infected drive, becuase they know you can "fix" things like that.

@TFA: Resource handling improvements? Here we call it "fixing CPU leak bug" but whatever...
                *goes to the site to get the new package*
                *installs*
                *wonders why there's no AVG in the Utils menu anymore*
                *does some Google-fu*...
                Posted by: umelec - Moderator (IP Logged)
                Date: April 30, 2009 12:29PM

AVG 8.5 does not have UI. It can be accessed and checked only via commandline.
                So that's how they "fixed" the resource hog? Smooth move!
                *facepalms*
                I hope they use this opportunity to switch to qt.

Comment

Originally posted by myxal View Post
                  @curaga, oneman, bulletxt: Gee, what a level-headed discussion we're having here. (NOT)
                  It remains to be seen that it's anything other than "levelheaded".

I don't know about you, but in the large, Anti-Virus stuff as it's defined in Windows is only useful to a Linux user if they're providing Samba shares for Windows users or skimming their E-mail.

@RealNC: This is good for not having to boot into Windows whenever your Windows-using friends hand you an infected drive, becuase they know you can "fix" things like that.
                  Considering that one of the BEST programs for this sort of thing, ClamAV, happens to RUN under Linux and is available on live CDs, such as SysRescueCD, I don't think it's of much usefulness. Why spend money on something suboptimal?

Comment

ClamAV seems to have one of the worst detection rates ever in an anti-virus app.

Comment

Working...
                    X