Zaphod mode and DRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaphod mode and DRI

Both drivers no longer keep my card's fan running full speed so I thought I might be able to finally move away from fglrx. I came crawling back though.

radeonhd doesn't support Zaphod mode at all. Is that likely to change?

I was pleased to see that radeon does support it but not with DRI. Is this a hard fix? I'm not complaining, I just want to have some idea of how much longer I'll be stuck with fglrx for. My second screen is a 32" TV on the other side of the room and simply having a "big desktop" doesn't work very well in that scenario.

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    Both drivers no longer keep my card's fan running full speed so I thought I might be able to finally move away from fglrx. I came crawling back though.

radeonhd doesn't support Zaphod mode at all. Is that likely to change?
    I doubt it.

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    I was pleased to see that radeon does support it but not with DRI. Is this a hard fix? I'm not complaining, I just want to have some idea of how much longer I'll be stuck with fglrx for. My second screen is a 32" TV on the other side of the room and simply having a "big desktop" doesn't work very well in that scenario.
    It's a fairly complex fix. The problem is the current drm system only supports a single master, so you could probably get the dri working with one head. For zaphod with dri on all heads, you'll need the latest kms/mm drm and such. Fedora 11 has the necessary bits. In the meantime you could use something like xephyr to simulate zaphod over randr dualhead.

Comment

When you say "not with DRI" do you mean "the drm can only talk to one X server at a time so the second X server can't use DRI" ?

If so, I think airlied mentioned that the latest drm actually did support multi-master, as long as you were also using kms and memory management. I wasn't able to find the post but I *think* that's what he said...

EDIT - never mind, agd5f beat me to it
      Test signature

Comment

I'm on Gentoo so I'm fairly used to bleeding edge stuff. Are you saying that if I grab those components and remove the check from the driver, it might work now? I'd be willing to give it a try.

Otherwise, I think I'll stick with fglrx over the xephyr solution. radeon actually locks up the machine entirely when I switch VT or try to stop X, including when I reboot or shutdown, so if I'm going to switch, it really needs to be worth it. I'm not sure how common crashes like this are at the moment so I haven't filed a bug report yet. Let me know if you think I should file one but I'm not sure what information I can provide beyond the fact that I have a 4670 and that radeonhd doesn't have this problem.

Comment

File a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and config. You might also try the latest release (6.12.2) or git master first to make sure the bug is not already fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X