Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What applications do you wish were on Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What applications do you wish were on Linux?

I know I may strike the wrong chord with some, but I'd love to see what applications people wished to see on Linux. Even though I use Linux solely on my primary computer, I boot up my other PC occasionally whenever I need to do some specific tasks... especially graphs with Office.

Here is my list:

Photoshop
    Dreamweaver
    Office 2007

If any of those came to Linux, and I don't mean emulated, I would be quite pleased.

So... what are your choices, if any?

Photoshop - The Gimp
    Dreamweaver - SciTE
    Office 2007 - OpenOffice.org

Comment

The Gimp - It's not half as easy as Photoshop to use, and I just don't like how it works. Editing pictures is far faster with Photoshop.

Dreamweaver - SciTE... will try it out. Use Bluefish atm... but I don't like it much either. NVU is horrible though.

Office 2007 - OpenOffice... horrible resource whore. Takes forever to start up, especially when dealing with .docs that are 10~ pages or more.

Comment

Rob, have you tried out AbiWord?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nope. Downloading it now to give it a shot though.

I think Photoshop is the biggest program I'd like to function in Linux. I edit a lot of pictures, in addition to watermark them. What do you use for the site Michael? imagemagick CL tools or an app?

Comment

Wrote a program to dynamically watermark them using the PHP GD library.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Oh yeah, taking the easy way out I see.

;-)

Comment

If you don't like The Gimp, there's Pixel.

For the slow OpenOffice start-up, uninstall Java. It takes no more than 3 seconds tops to start-up for me.

Comment

I use Java for Azureus, hehe. It's not really the start-up that bothers me, it's the insane resources that it uses when viewing large documents. I've run large games through wine that haven't used up so many resources.

Comment

Hmm...

Weird. I have 20+ MB word docs that open up in just a few seconds, and my PC is very modest (P4C 2.6 GHz, 512 MB RAM).

Comment

Working...
                    X