Nvidia and ATi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia and ATi

I have an integrated Geforce 8200 on my motherboard. I also have a HD4870 card.

The HD4870 is my primary video card (ie. Runs X11).

Can I use the geforce 8200 as a co-processor using VDPAU or whatever to supplement my Linux "Experience"?

I believe you need at least a 8400 (or even 8500) for VDPAU and CUDA.

Comment

I think it's the 9500 minimum. 8200 is a waste of silicon. They waste all the die space on stupid silicon video decoding and shaders. The 8300 is worthy of running some code but it should have been the low end and something with twice as many ROPs and higher clocks should be in it's place. It's best to just turn it off and forget it's there as 4 rops under shader 4.0 is useless even though it could get stuff done at shader 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
        I think it's the 9500 minimum. 8200 is a waste of silicon. They waste all the die space on stupid silicon video decoding and shaders. The 8300 is worthy of running some code but it should have been the low end and something with twice as many ROPs and higher clocks should be in it's place. It's best to just turn it off and forget it's there as 4 rops under shader 4.0 is useless even though it could get stuff done at shader 3.0.
        Got a 8200 based system (Asus M3N-78 VM)here running XBMC with vdpau just fine even with the 1080p stuff. Key is to have 512 Meg allotted to the igp. That being said nvidia drivers mixed with other video drivers is always a great way to cause the ultimate frustration.
        Last edited by deanjo; 04 May 2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Ya. I just downloaded the latest GPU caps viewer (same people who do the furmark test) and it's showing the 8200 as a cuda processor. Though it might not be one under linux. It's showing it's compute capability as 1.1 at stock speeds. A 4870 is probably about 1000 or 2000 judging by capabilitys of he 8200.
          I actually got my 8200 to go over 50c running the toughest gpu test on that program though. I was shocked. It normally runs 43 to 47 depending on room temperature no matter what I'm doing.

Comment

Working...
          X