Mobility 4XXX linux proprietary driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility 4XXX linux proprietary driver

Does anyone know when ATI is planning to support the mobility radeon 4XXX series with thier driver?

I just got a new notebook with mobility 4650 and the performance under window$ is amazing, nearly on par with nvidia 9800gs even with ddr3 rather than gddr3. And this is on a budget notebook.

I really need linux on this notebook. Please if any one knows the release schedule or how often ATI upgrades thier drivers please tell me.

The drivers are updated monthly, typically around the third week of each month although that may vary depending on what we are trying to include in each month's release.
    Test signature

Comment

Are you with AMD? The we implies that

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The drivers are updated monthly, typically around the third week of each month although that may vary depending on what we are trying to include in each month's release.
      You used we in your reply implying a certian degree of association with AMD if so are there plans to support mobility 4XXX. If you are not with amd sorry for bothering you, I just cant stand booting into vista now that i have been using linux on the desktop for nearly two years.

Comment

If you're a Stargate fan, "as a matter of fact it *does* say AMD on my uniform" (and profile).

I'm not sure what our current policy is re: mobile parts and fglrx but will ask. I think we normally include the IDs but effective test coverage tends to be less because of the huge variation in specialized BIOS features (typically tested with Windows only) on laptops relative to desktops.

We will definitely support the mobile parts with the open drivers, and the open drivers bring some additional options for remote debugging and tweaking. I wasn't aware that laptops with mobile HD4xxx parts were shipping yet, guess I need to look around a bit

Have you tried the open drivers yet ? If they aren't working, can you find your device ID from lspci and let us know ? Actually, if you have a 4650 the fglrx driver may support your chip already as well, so I guess the question is whether you have tried either ? Have you already tried installing a current distro and if so which one did you use ?

Ubuntu 9.04 is the only one I know of with out-of-box acceleration support for HD2xxx and higher, but most current distros should give you out-of-box modesetting and shadowfb support, assuming your device ID is one that we know about.
        Last edited by bridgman; 03 May 2009, 01:18 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Tried with ubuntu

Yes mobility 4650 is shipping in notebooks and I am in Egypt ( a 3rd world country, but sunny all year round ), and things take time to get here. My notebook is the HP dv6-1125ee. And to be fair, the 4650 is amazingly fast. I mean i play the new World of Warcraft wrath of the lich king at ultrahigh settings and get decent framerates ( on vista ). This needed an nvidia 9800GS before.

Amazing chip.

But i tried ubuntu 9.04 and on reboot after enabling the proprietary drivers the screen was garbled and more or less unusable.

With the open source driver it works but VERY SLOW, no 3d and 2d is lame to say the least.

I will do the lspci and post.

Thanks

Comment

lspci

I am a stargate fan.

lspci
            00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
            00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
            00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
            00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
            00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
            00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
            00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
            00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
            00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
            00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
            00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
            00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
            00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
            00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
            00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
            00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
            00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
            00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
            00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
            00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
            00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650]
            01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]
            02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection
            03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
            06:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): JMicron Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller
            06:00.1 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
            06:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Standard SD Host Controller
            06:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. MS Host Controller
            06:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. xD Host Controller

Comment

OK, based on that info I think your issue is more related to "support for Ubuntu 9.04" (which is still at "early look" stage) rather than support for your GPU.

2D acceleration should be pretty good out of the box, but if you've installed fglrx and don't uninstall it completely the remaining bits will interfere with the open source 2D driver acceleration.

If you are running the open source drivers now can you run "xvinfo" and see what the result is ?
              Test signature

Comment

you sir are right

I tried the ATI driver directly and low and behold, everthing works. It does seem to be an ubuntu issue.

Man am I pleased, this much graphical power costing soo little. AMD rocks.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                OK, based on that info I think your issue is more related to "support for Ubuntu 9.04" (which is still at "early look" stage) rather than support for your GPU.

2D acceleration should be pretty good out of the box, but if you've installed fglrx and don't uninstall it completely the remaining bits will interfere with the open source 2D driver acceleration.

If you are running the open source drivers now can you run "xvinfo" and see what the result is ?

Comment

Originally posted by ehab View Post
                  I tried the ATI driver directly and low and behold, everthing works. It does seem to be an ubuntu issue.

Man am I pleased, this much graphical power costing soo little. AMD rocks.
                  Ehab, good to know that ATI driver works with Linux. I too have HP Pavilion dv6 1125ee. Just installed Fedora 11 and have issues with Radeon Mobility HD4650. Can you please advise me which driver you used?

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh (Qatar)

Comment

They "work" for the mobility radeon hd 4850 as well, but I use the term "work" loosely. (Apparently no worse than desktop GPU support though, although 9.5 seems to be worse than 9.4.)

OTOH ATI leaves us almost completely unsupported under windows by locking out generic catalyst installation altogether for mobile GPUs, unless you do something like google dontargue or otherwise modify the standard cats to install. MSI is VERY slow to update drivers and, apparently, don't understand the concept of changelogs which especially troublesome for their mystery BIOS updates. (Flash and pray...)
                    Last edited by cutterjohn; 13 June 2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X