A Weekend Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    I'm on Windows now. However, it should be something like NVIDIA MCP67 if I remember well.
    The nfo driver supports it: http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/ (works on 2008.11 as well)

Comment

Originally posted by etacarinae View Post
      The nfo driver supports it: http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/ (works on 2008.11 as well)
      That's a pain in the ass to get it to work. And I don't even know if it supports my card. It's not listed and the newer one is stated as "alpha test version". I can't accept this. It's open solaris duty to do something about considering that my card perfectly works on Windows and Linux without any hassles.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        That's a pain in the ass to get it to work. And I don't even know if it supports my card. It's not listed and the newer one is stated as "alpha test version". I can't accept this. It's open solaris duty to do something about considering that my card perfectly works on Windows and Linux without any hassles.
        A pain in the ass to get it to work ?

Download, copy to a flashdrive, run
        tar xvzf nfo-2.6.3.tar.gz && cd nfo-2.6.3 && pfexec make install64 && pfexec ./addrv.sh

If your system is 64 bit... (or use install32 if it's 32 bit...), if that's hard, then I'd say that Linux is not for you either...

As for alpha, if it hasn't been updated this means it has been working perfectly fine and there is simply no need to update the driver.

Comment

And could you enlighten us all what does forking have to do with OpenSolaris, which can't use any Linux kernel stuff anyway as the licenses are not compatible. Moreover, the kernels are way too different for such a port to make sense anyway.
          Sorry, when I boot OpenSolaris, I see nothing but a stock Linux distro with GNOME. Unlike the BSDs which all have _some_ clear objective, Solaris/OpenSolaris is just a Linux copycat spawned out of Sun's ego. I really hope Oracle lets it die its due death if / when they buy Sun.

Or do you have any good reason to use OpenSolaris?

What I really don't get, this totally unimportant news gets reported here, as if anyone cared, while the latest and (great) releases of the four BSDs don't get any referral. Odd.

Comment

@Susikala

I personally prefer *Solaris over BSD* (and news about Solaris) and forking is sometimes very good thing. There's a thread at lkml where some kernel devs even think about forking GCC or writing their own compiler. And about ego - OpenBSD... Sorry I have even better example - HURD.
            Last edited by kraftman; 04 May 2009, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
              Or do you have any good reason to use OpenSolaris?
              Discussion of Solaris-based operating systems including OpenSolaris, Oracle Solaris, Nexenta, and BeleniX.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=28 (lacking points 1 & 3 have been fixed now)

Or just go to opensolaris.com or opensolaris.org.

Comment

i thing Juergen Keil also contributed a fix for lp 4) in one of the recent builds.
                lp 5) still holds.

9. Simultaneous support for 32 & 64 bit apps.
                This is something I find particular lacking with Linux distributions.
                Also on this matter,opensolaris makes imho more sane choices when go to 64bit, that is, when there is a need or advantage from it ( 64bit firefox anyone? )

Comment

Sorry, I can't be bothered to hold up a discussion like that. You're just listing up all kinds of names or abbreviations which are virtually High Chinese to me. You don't explain _why_ someone should use those, or if any of those points don't have equivalent or better BSD/linux replacements which would make OpenSolaris unique.

If you want to extend your userbase, you have to do a better job at convincing people they should use it, not expect them to go to great lengths to find out what the one or other feature means. That is something too many people in the open source world have failed to realise (I mean, you can say a lot of things about Ubuntu, but they're not condescending).

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                    Sorry, I can't be bothered to hold up a discussion like that. You're just listing up all kinds of names or abbreviations which are virtually High Chinese to me.
                    You can't be bothered to use Google, I can't be bothered trying to convince someone who obviously wouldn't even want to try OpenSolaris.

It's kind of odd that a large number of users of an OS that is only used by around 1% of users in the world are screaming to kill off a different operating system that is used by even fewer people. But while you're at it, why don't you wish for all the products that you don't use to die-off ? Who needs any other cereal brands when you've got your favourite.

Comment

You can't be bothered to use Google, I can't be bothered trying to convince someone who obviously wouldn't even want to try OpenSolaris.

It's kind of odd that a large number of users of an OS that is only used by around 1% of users in the world are screaming to kill off a different operating system that is used by even fewer people. But while you're at it, why don't you wish for all the products that you don't use to die-off ? Who needs any other cereal brands when you've got your favourite.
                      I did try OpenSolaris. I just experienced whatever you experience with every stock Linux distribution, without, say, the glamour of Fedora or the user-friendliness of Ubuntu or Debian's robustness or Gentoo's customiseability. Therefore I see no point to it, really. It's so vague in my mind I can't even categorise it internally (as in, answer the question 'what does it exist for?'). Can you answer that?

I don't think your statement holds truth. I personally use whatever I want to use, whether it be Linux, *BSD or Windows if it suits my needs. The only thing I shun completely is Apple, really. And even if I only used Linux or even one of the smaller BSDs, would I be less justified in criticising OpenSolaris for its abundant pointlessness?
                      Last edited by susikala; 04 May 2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X