Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Weekend Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

Default A Weekend Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

Phoronix: A Weekend Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

It has been a while since last talking about OpenSolaris 2009.06 at Phoronix, but this weekend we decided to fire up Sun's latest build based upon the SXCE 111a build available from Genunix. Enclosed are a few screenshots and other information about this Sun community operating system that should be officially released within a month.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13778

I don't know why, but OpenSolaris runs horribly slow in VirtualBox.
    Does anyone know anything about this?

Whats the point of this distro even? Is there any novelty at all to run a solaris kernel these days?

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    Whats the point of this distro even? Is there any novelty at all to run a solaris kernel these days?
    I believe there are many who are quite invested in the Solaris platform, and Sun has created technologies to allow building and maintaining robust infrastructure.

Besides, there wouldn't a distribution if there wasn't a community around it no? The great thing about FOSS is the ability to port any portion of a complete stack of software creates a low barrier of entry for different ideas of what makes up a distribution.

[That can also be viewed as a weakness, but that will likely improve as we decide which parts of this wave of custom everything is actually worthwhile]

Mentioning the PulseAudio integration as missing in a post about OpenSolaris...which has never had anything to do with PulseAudio...heh

Anyway, what phoronix failed to mention, is that 2009.06 will finally have a newer gcc stack (4.3.2) [1], and I believe this is more important than having a slightly modified volume control.

[1] The commit for it: http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermai...il/013199.html

Ok, it's 2 years I'm waiting that OpenSolaris supports my motherboard's gibabit ethernet card. If it doesn't this time I'm gonna say goodbye to it once for all.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Ok, it's 2 years I'm waiting that OpenSolaris supports my motherboard's gibabit ethernet card. If it doesn't this time I'm gonna say goodbye to it once for all.
    What ethernet card is it ? (scanpci data if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig73 View Post
    Besides, there wouldn't a distribution if there wasn't a community around it no? The great thing about FOSS is the ability to port any portion of a complete stack of software creates a low barrier of entry for different ideas of what makes up a distribution.
    Forking stuff is, unfortunately, largely a matter of ego (compiz/beryl is just one prime example of this overrated idiocy). If the egos of some people in the open source world were smaller, we'd all be benefiting from it.

In other words -- no one needs OpenSolaris.

Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    Forking stuff is, unfortunately, largely a matter of ego (compiz/beryl is just one prime example of this overrated idiocy).
    And could you enlighten us all what does forking have to do with OpenSolaris, which can't use any Linux kernel stuff anyway as the licenses are not compatible. Moreover, the kernels are way too different for such a port to make sense anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    In other words -- no one needs OpenSolaris.
    And if I need it and everyone else who uses it needs it, then we are all fictional and do not exist, right ?
    Last edited by etacarinae; 05-03-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
    What ethernet card is it ? (scanpci data if possible)

I'm on Windows now. However, it should be something like NVIDIA MCP67 if I remember well.
    Last edited by bulletxt; 05-03-2009 at 09:47 PM.