Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to iD, Quake Live for Linux/MacOS are "Top Priority"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to iD, Quake Live for Linux/MacOS are "Top Priority"...

Per the post over at the Quake Live forums on current progress, plans, etc. :

Mac/Linux

These have proved more difficult than expected, but we're getting close. We expect to also be testing Mac and Linux versions of QUAKE LIVE internally this month and then making those publicly available just as soon as we feel they are ready. This work is being done by a separate programmer in parallel with the other work that we're doing, and is his only priority - point being, that this is a top priority for us and not being delayed because of other work.

While I'm not holding my breath (heh...just remember UT3...yeah, I know it's iD, not Epic, but...), it's it's looking better for it and probably Rage as well. They wouldn't be pouring that sort of effort in unless it mattered to them.

Of course. When has Carmack ever disappointed his penguin fans?

If the Linux gamer numbers are big (provided if they're not Free zealots and only play OpenArena) it might give publishers a clue that there is a linux audience.

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
      Of course. When has Carmack ever disappointed his penguin fans?
      While there's always room for a first time, so far, he's got a longer, better track record than Epic or anyone else out there has on that score.

If the Linux gamer numbers are big (provided if they're not Free zealots and only play OpenArena) it might give publishers a clue that there is a linux audience.
      Most of the crowd's not "Free Zealots" (My first preference is for Stallman's "Free", but being pragmatic, I'll take slightly less and work for better over time, like we're beginning to see with the 3D support- which is bewildering, really, because they were all open at one point, save for Intel, which never was, but led the charge on that respect...)- so I wouldn't worry so much about that. It's a good shot at showing "numbers" that the marketing and sales people (Who have a decent say in what gets done at the publishers...) can see they've been snubbing a decent sized market after all.

Comment

According to my BS radar readings, im getting unconventionally strong signals in that forum thread. Put out or get out (and STFU) I would tell to the kind folks at id.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          According to my BS radar readings, im getting unconventionally strong signals in that forum thread. Put out or get out (and STFU) I would tell to the kind folks at id.
          Nice of you call bullshit after the windows version has been in beta for a couple months especially considering the company behind it and what they've done for Linux support and FOSS. Real nice.
          Last edited by Aradreth; 03 May 2009, 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            think that might be a bit harsh. Your attacking people for giving a care.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              think that might be a bit harsh. Your attacking people for giving a care.
              Given Carmacks recent comments on OGL, linux, choice of publishers and such to err on the side of caution is not unreasonable.

Comment

caution is 1 thing, and thats perfectly justified and well placed. Downright disrespect is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  caution is 1 thing, and thats perfectly justified and well placed. Downright disrespect is another story.
                  I don't think saying basically "shit or get off the pot" is being to harsh no matter who the dev is and despite their past history. There are no guarantees that a platform will be supported even when intentions are specified.

Comment

They've been saying that same thing for months now. "It's our top priority." Well, as someone in the QL boards pointed out, 1 single programmer working on both the mac and the linux clients is not a "top priority". Why can't they just be honest and say "Linux is just an afterthought, which we'll look into when/if we get time after releasing the final windows version", or just simply STFU until the linux binaries are available? Theyre starting to sound like 3DR with their on-going DNF myth/joke. Their past releases of older games' linux binaries doesnt mean anything now.

Comment

Working...
                    X