Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD4770 on Linux with Catalyst <= 9.4

Hi all,

Recently ordered an HD4770 (couldn't resist!), upgrading from an nVidia 7900GT. Has anyone here tried this card with Linux yet? Michael? Wondering if there's support in Catalyst 9.4 (even "unofficial" or unlisted support due to NDAs when 9.4 was released), or we'll have to wait for Catalyst 9.5 to be able to use this card.

Cheers

Everyone has been pretty silent over this. I guess since you already ordered the card you will soon find out . My bet is that it will be "supported" by current drivers in that they at least recognize the card and provide some level of acceleration.

Comment

Yeah, it's still 4xxx series afterall. Couldn't be that much different internally to the others. As long as Compiz works I'll be happy (going without Compiz is like going from Linux to Windows, it's painful)

Comment

Sapphire was running behind schedule in their HD 4770 shipments. I should have my sample(s) on Tuesday, so next week I will know. I anticipate it working with Catalyst 9.4.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the reply Michael.

I expect mine on Tuesday too (probably around 04:00 GMT). Would be great if Catalyst 9.4 supports it

Comment

I have one currently and the downloadable Catalyst 9.4 Windows drivers do not have support for the card (get an error message during install). Only the drivers on the CD worked. I will install CentOS and give 9.4 a try and report back.

Comment

Well it looks like the 9.4 Linux drivers don't work either. I just tried them on a fresh install of CentOS 5.3. The installer completes, but after rebooting I was still in VESA mode. So I ran aticonfig and got this:

aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

With "--initial -f" gave the same result. Running the control center from gnome gave a similar error message: "There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following...."

I guess we will have to wait until 9.5

Comment

Ok, I promise this is the last reply, got the driver to work now. I didn't have the kernel-devel package installed (there was an error in the install log file but no error in the graphical install which made it appear that everything installed ok). After that I had to manually change xorg.conf to fglrx and then I could run the Catalyst Control Center to configure my multi-monitor setup.

aticonfig still doesn't work and reports the same thing as in my prior post. Also, there is an AMD Unsupported hardware overlay in the lower right corner of both screens.

Comment

Thanks for the replies droidix. So you have 3D acceleration (?), but you've got the unsupported hardware message?. I'm not sure, but I thought there was a way to turn that off? Might be in another thread here on Phoronix.

Hopefully Catalyst 9.5 releases Real Soon Now(TM). If AMD's going to make such fantastic hardware at irresistible prices, they gotta have the software support out there for their users too (especially for those who jump ship, like I have)

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                    Thanks for the replies droidix. So you have 3D acceleration (?), but you've got the unsupported hardware message?. I'm not sure, but I thought there was a way to turn that off? Might be in another thread here on Phoronix.
                    Yep, 3D acceleration worked great. I installed the ET:Quake Wars demo and ran it with high quality settings at 1680x1050. Looked beautiful and the frame rate jumped between 30 and 60 fps. I was running this as root, there seemed to be a problem running as a normal user, something about reverting to indirect rendering.

The unsupported message is there, it looks just like the one in this article:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

except the words "testing use only" are not included. I bet 9.5 will add official support.

Comment

Working...
                    X