Linux Desktop Marketshare Passes 1%!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
    I don't know why they don't make more headway with Red Flag Linux. It's a nice linux with nicely copied windows XP interface. You don't ever hear or see much of what is going on with china. But people all over rest of asia are hackintosh nuts right now. They've pumped OS/X website hits from 7 percent to over 11 percent.

I wish GNU's hurd was further along because it's looking like linux will have to turn more into a microkernel system like OSX while OSX has been evolving into a more complete OS. Me thinks everything will always meet in the middle like that.
    Im fairly sure that china is a hackintosh nut country right now. They make fake ipods front right and center, take a look at the Iorange or w.e its called. Hell they have a page telling you how to spot a fake fake from the real fake. Or have a look at the notebooks with windows XP but look an awful lot like macbooks. These items are obviously not for western consumption as few would buy a laggy ipod touch fake. Whats the point? People in china and the rest of asia (excluding South Korea, Japan, Singapore ect.) cannot afford apple products. A real mac is to them as a Ferrari is to us. The prospect appeals very well to have a half price computer that runs OSX.

Oh and dont get me started on the Vii

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
    Governments always tax too much. Corporations always price too high in any situation. It's the way they fake being caring cooperative and reasonable but remain being facist and hard assed. The amount of cooperation they get in this mode determines how much force be it military or financial or judicial they need to use to control everything.

But the bottom line is it doesn't matter who runs what or why. Oh I know who cares. The people who want to pretend that the world can't live without them and everyone is in fact drinking their coolaide it's just that not everyone is paying the price. blah blah blah.
    Linux is small when it's being statistically diminished for marketing reasons. It's huge when it's being competed against. etc etc. Polish the fun house mirrors. Nothing is actual size any more.
    What the hell are you getting at. Perhaps its because im intoxicated but that made little to no sense to me. Are u spiking corporate America or the Linux market share?

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Actually yes I have tried it. Currently on many workstations at work of various configs. As a whole things went really smooth.
    congrats. But people said similar things before vista was actually released so lets wait for the results. Its hard to set the standard of something thats not out yet I suppose. Best we wait and see what the final product says to the end user.

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/chi...rivacy-groups/ doesn't give linux the best impression now does it?
    Many Chinese people are often very nice. Heck I once had a Chinese girlfriend (that was born in china). But as it stands China as a country is red. Its generals threaten the west and they violate human rights. I dont think people outside of china will look negatively on Linux for the actions of the Chinese government.

What I find amusing is that China doesn't grant its citizens very much freedom and they infact use an operating system thats licensed under the principals of Freedom.

HA! a quiz for everyone! Should an oppressive government be entitled to use free software or just its citizens I suppose free software is for everyone but this is a morality question

Comment

I'm going to have to call slanted view on that red flag linux article. I read a similar article stating that the license is lifetime and they are asking them to pay 500 yuan not 5000 yuan for 2 years of support and they are not forcing people to install the operating system they are simply forcing them to buy the 2 years of support. Red flag is simply trying to adopt red hat's business model in china maybe with a bit more judicial and military force than red hat uses. Though I've never known anyone who was late with a red hat support payment that is still alive.
      I wonder how much they will complain when linux gets multiseat and they can add another person to a box just by buying another video card keyboard and monitor and mouse.

But judging from reviews on the latest release it looks like they are barely able to translate it, compile it and keep up with the juggernaught of code generation that has become the linux upstream monster.

Have to totally agree with you on windows 7. Microsoft is like the really good con artist girl that acts nice for a while and then starts stealing money out of your wallet and doing coke in the bathroom. They only advertise when they are releasing. So you see all these stupid ad's as they grease up palms.

Comment

Hmmm... Even if the article is true, it's the difference of being spied by Microsoft or the Chinese government. Or in both cases, the cafe owners can have a look too.

Seriously, nobody ever considers public net access to be safe. So why jump and shout when there's one more possibility that it isn't safe.

Comment

When I posted this article, I did not mean it to be a downer. We can argue about the exact linux number (does this site not include europe, include people with user agents etc) all we want. The important thing to note is the trend. Up over 300% in just a couple years. From 2005 to 2007 it was relatively flat... and then things really began to pick up for desktop linux. I hope things continue.

Comment

Well just to put RedFlag into perspective. According to it's own site it's been downloaded a whopping 1115 times. Now given the estimated population of China being around the 1.3 billion mark..... (PS I account for 2 of those downloads :P)

Comment

LOL. Do they really only measure ~1000 downloads. Do they just decide to count 1 of every 1000 hits?? I could put anything on the web and get more downloads than that.

Comment

Originally posted by jdeslip View Post
                LOL. Do they really only measure ~1000 downloads. Do they just decide to count 1 of every 1000 hits?? I could put anything on the web and get more downloads than that.
                Yup, I had to check it out for my self so I downloaded it twice and yup, it went from 1113 to 1115

Check it out for yourself, click, start downloading the iso and then refresh the page.

Last edited by deanjo; 10 May 2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Yup, I had to check it out for my self so I downloaded it twice and yup, it went from 1113 to 1115

Check it out for yourself, click, start downloading the iso and then refresh the page.

http://www.redflag-linux.com/en/down...class2=1&id=43
                  lol good call . It was a good laugh till i noticed i had wet myself as a result .

Comment

Maybe 1100 downloads from the English-language page and 2 billion downloads from the Chinese-language page we can't read ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Maybe 1100 downloads from the English-language page and 2 billion downloads from the Chinese-language page we can't read ?
                      268615 downloads on the Chinese page for the latest version. (Should actually say 268615 downloads started. Doesn't account for the number of retries as the counters count the download clicks.)
                      Last edited by deanjo; 10 May 2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X