Linux Desktop Marketshare Passes 1%!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Desktop Marketshare Passes 1%!!

Hitslink.com just released their april market share stats and linux passed 1% for the first time ever.

See historical plot at my article here: http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=43

Digg the article here: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_Market_Share_Passes_1

It passed 1% by market research companies. It actually passed 1% a long time ago and is actually around 2-4% for the desktop market. MacOS and Linux have about the same market share. The reason why Linux is so much lower is because not all Linux installs hit all the sites that the researchers monitor.

For example, I have 4 computers, all running Linux. Only 1 of them I use to browse the internet with and another one isn't connected to any network. So, even though I have 4 installs, because only one of them I use to surf the web, I'm counted as having only 1 Linux install.

Comment

Doesn't the same thing probably apply to all the OSes ? The stats don't count Windows or MacOS systems not used for web surfing either.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Doesn't the same thing probably apply to all the OSes ? The stats don't count Windows or MacOS systems not used for web surfing either.
        Ya it does bridgeman but you would be bringing common sense to a linux penetration thread.

Comment

D'oh !!

Sorry about that.
          Test signature

Comment

I don't disagree. It's just that my personal experience results in different market share About 20% of my real-life friends use Linux.

Another thing I was thinking about is how many people browse the web from their job? Probably countless (everyone I know does ). Are those "desktop" PCs? I'd rather count them as workstations.

Comment

Watch that number get pummeled down with Win 7 and OS X 10.6 being released in the near future. The fear of upgrading to it is not nearly as great as it was when Vista came out.

Comment

Here it says that Linux has 2% http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I don't disagree. It's just that my personal experience results in different market share About 20% of my real-life friends use Linux.

Another thing I was thinking about is how many people browse the web from their job? Probably countless (everyone I know does ). Are those "desktop" PCs? I'd rather count them as workstations.
                  How many PC's are also blocked at work from connecting to the internet all together? I know of quite a few companies that block any external net access all together.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Most of my friends have off-road 4x4s and lots of guns, but I don't think I can generalize that to the rest of the population either
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X