Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenVG State Tracker For Gallium3D Tomorrow

Phoronix: OpenVG State Tracker For Gallium3D Tomorrow

Zack Rusin, a well known employee of Tungsten Graphics (well, VMware), has announced quite the present for Mesa developers and those looking forward to the widespread adoption of the Gallium3D graphics driver architecture. Tomorrow he will be pushing out perhaps the most interesting state tracker yet, one for OpenVG. The OpenVG state tracker will make it possible for any Gallium3D-based graphics hardware driver to now support this low-level vector graphics API commonly used on hand-held devices with hardware acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

can anything beat the awesomeness of gallium3d?
    cant wait for all the stuff to be done...
    opengl 3.0/3.1
    opencl
    maybe direct3d
    this is going to so awesome!

Comment

which applications/libraries have backends for OpenVG and will benefit from the implementation ??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        which applications/libraries have backends for OpenVG and will benefit from the implementation ??
        Anything that draws lines on the screen. Which means pretty much everything that uses GTK or Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
          Anything that draws lines on the screen. Which means pretty much everything that uses GTK or Qt.
          well thats nice
          having all that accelerated would be usefull ^^

Comment

Can someone tell me what exactly is a "state tracker" ? Does that mean that the people at tungsten have implemented something that will interface libraries and graphic card through OpenVG for 2D vector acceleration ?

All the news from Gallium 3D sound great, but I still don't understand what exactly is the aim of the project (maybe someone has a link toward an handy explaining page...) and I wonder when we will be able to experience some of those great promises !

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
              Can someone tell me what exactly is a "state tracker" ? Does that mean that the people at tungsten have implemented something that will interface libraries and graphic card through OpenVG for 2D vector acceleration ?

All the news from Gallium 3D sound great, but I still don't understand what exactly is the aim of the project (maybe someone has a link toward an handy explaining page...) and I wonder when we will be able to experience some of those great promises !
              In a comment I was recently asked where Gallium3D does fit in in regards to Mesa and OpenGL. Given that I’m not an expert the answer was short and simple but might interest others as well. Th…

Comment

Guys, this is all cool and it looks like the next generation open source linux graphics will probably bit the crap out of the proprietary world.

In the meantime, anyone knows if there is an indication that we could get 3D hardware acceleration in all ATI cards (through the radeon/radeonhd drivers) before this year ends? This will be a huge milestone! (opensource finally delivering a full, real world graphics solution for one of the two big vendors)

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Guys, this is all cool and it looks like the next generation open source linux graphics will probably bit the crap out of the proprietary world.

In the meantime, anyone knows if there is an indication that we could get 3D hardware acceleration in all ATI cards (through the radeon/radeonhd drivers) before this year ends? This will be a huge milestone! (opensource finally delivering a full, real world graphics solution for one of the two big vendors)
                  as far as i know r300-500 are in the works...
                  and the work on r600-700 is supposed to start when the basic 3d work is done...
                  but you sould ask bridgman for more info
                  Last edited by Pfanne; 30 April 2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Short answer is "yes". I started typing a longer answer but it got too long, so let's stick with "yes"
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X