Fedora 11, KMS/Radeon/3D xpress 200m mini review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 11, KMS/Radeon/3D xpress 200m mini review

First of all, i bow before the open source radeon developers, really really nice work done. keep it up.

Now... for the mini review.

I downloaded the nightly build of fedora 11 yesterday (29/04) and it blew my mind, metaphorically speaking.

KMS (mode settings) works as advertised on my 200m (RS482), no bugs here. No flicker when switching between console and X and back again, very impressive. Plymouth also works right after the grub boot.

When i opened my kde desktop, i could check with glxinfo that now opengl version is bumped to 1.4 (really nice, should be able to use vmware 3d acceleration now, since it asks for 1.4 or higher), and xv is using the textured video port (was ATI Radeon Video Overlay dropped?).

best of all dri2 is working!!! no more fighting between composite window managers and opengl apps (ahhh true google earth nirvana).
    But there is a catch, at least with my evil 200m, when i activate composite in kde, i lose the xdamage ability, by that i mean that any window isn't updated unless i force it (by moving the window, hovering it with the mouse pointer, doing a switch with the cover switch, etc).
    Also, the update with the mouse pointer, only updates the area the mouse hovers, not the entire window.

I hope bridgeman and gang can pinpoint why exactly xdamage isn't being called/synchronized, since it makes the dri2 experience quite useless so far with kde 3d effects and radeon 200m. But it's VERY VERY impressive and promissing. I'm blown away. can't wait for this code to stabilize so i can port it to jaunty

Did i also mentioned it's fast? well it is, and at least for 200m isn't any slower (i know there are performance regressions, but i couldn't see any measurable slowdown to the naked eye).

AMD gang feel free to mail me if you need additional testing.

Radeon open source drivers are rocking the boat

Radeon/RadeonHD Direct Rendering?

Woah!!! Hold on a second... Are you saying that the open source radeon drivers now support some semblance of direct rendering? Do I no longer have to fight with FGLRX drivers? (A frustrating experience in F10 with the catalyst 9.3 release!) Please say yes!!!

Comment

Yep, the open source drivers have supported direct rendering on 3xx/4xx for a couple of years (initially reverse engineered), 5xx for almost a year (with documentation), and 6xx/7xx is being worked on now.

The big news here is really the addition of Redirected Direct Rendering, ie the ability to run a direct-rendered 3D app in a window on a composited desktop. That was sort of the holy grail, in the sense that once that worked it became possible for distros to start shipping with a compositor enabled by default, and for framework developers to start designing a more tightly integrated graphics stack which assumed a compositor was always present.

The other big news is having the 3d driver work with kernel modesetting and with a kernel video memory manager. The lack of a good kernel video memory manager was the primary obstacle for higher levels of GL support including features like VBOs, FBOs and pbuffers.
      Last edited by bridgman; 01 May 2009, 05:03 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

not HD3650

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Yep, the open source drivers have supported direct rendering on 3xx/4xx for a couple of years (initially reverse engineered), 5xx for almost a year (with documentation), and 6xx/7xx is being worked on now.

The big news here is really the addition of Redirected Direct Rendering, ie the ability to run a direct-rendered 3D app in a window on a composited desktop. That was sort of the holy grail, in the sense that once that worked it became possible for distros to start shipping with a compositor enabled by default, and for framework developers to start designing a more tightly integrated graphics stack which assumed a compositor was always present.

The other big news is having the 3d driver work with kernel modesetting and with a kernel video memory manager. The lack of a good kernel video memory manager was the primary obstacle for higher levels of GL support including features like VBOs, FBOs and pbuffers.
        Clearly this does not work, then on a HD 36XX... I have longed for such a day, but it seems that it is not yet

Comment

Not yet working. But it will I just bought a 4670, gonna put it in with my integrated X1250 so I can test and hopefully submit bug reports and such soon. It's getting there

Comment

Will 3D performance increase with the new kernel memory manager and added OpenGL support?
            Last edited by SolidSteel144; 01 May 2009, 11:24 PM.

Comment

The memory manager on its own will probably not make a big difference (it might even slow things down a tiny bit), but having a memory manager makes it possible to implement the missing GL functions, and having those functions available to applications *will* make a big difference in performance with apps that are able to use them.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mpelletier View Post
                Clearly this does not work, then on a HD 36XX... I have longed for such a day, but it seems that it is not yet
                That'd be the "and 6xx/7xx is being worked on now" part. Waiting for it myself too.

Comment

@groo_pcd, problems with KWin effects it's not just your card, here (Radeon 9550-RV350) happend the same. On the other hand Gnome and compiz works great. It's neat to see gears or video in jelly window.
                  BTW did you manage to run any 3D application with hardware acceletratiopn except glxgears? I've tried with glaxium and gl-117 and both of them use mesa instead.

Comment

I do hope that Fedora 11 will bring me 3D support on my PPC and AMD-64 systems with Radeon x800 and x700 chips, respectively. It seems like Fedora has been next to useless in terms of 3D since that Xorg update in Fedora 8 or so.

And actually, no old Linux distro has had support for the Radeon x800 on PPC from what I've seen. I couldn't even get to the installer on my G5. So.. will Fedora 11 finally bring these machines to life?

Comment

Working...
                    X