Btrfs Is Not Yet The Performance King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow

I find it impressive that such an immature filesystem is so competitive with the others that have been around for way longer. Sure it scored last in most of the benchmarks, but at least its in the same ballpark. I know there have been a lot of performance improvements that have gone into the .30 rc's, so it'll be interesting to see how that kernel improves over .29

Comment

Here is a bit more in depth look at btrfs:

Demo slot pragmatic play adalah salah satu fasilitas game slot yang sangat diminati oleh para member slot di indonesia..

As you can see the mount options and compression can make a huge difference.

Comment

Anyone know what that weird triangle in the bootchart graph is caused by?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

Demo slot pragmatic play adalah salah satu fasilitas game slot yang sangat diminati oleh para member slot di indonesia..

Theres also been discussion on the mailing list about getting a userspace file deduplication tool working. That would be pretty amazing.

Comment

how do ext3/4 deal with small files? how is btrfs with thousands of small files? and does btrfs hates user data as much as ext4 does?

reiser4 never led me down. It cares about data. It is fast with all kind of files. I would love to see tests covering it. Especially with lzo or gzip compression turned on.

Comment

I agree that more info is needed before making a judgement
              - the linux mag tests show that compression in certain setups can greatly improve performance
              - tests should include general desktop usage as well as database tests, compiling tests, and perhaps VM tests as well... stress it out a bit
              - comparison of efficiencies of disk space usage (with or without compression). You stated how you allocated the drive - how much free space was there for each file system? After copying 50GB of games, movies, photo's, documents, etc., how much free space is there? After turning on compression, how much free space is there? [and this is performance compression / not archiving compression - but it still saves space]
              - include CPU/Memory usage for each test. IE - does managing the file system require more CPU, especially when compression is turned on. IE - where are the tradeoffs.

And btw - I disagree with those who feel the features are un-interesting to desktop users. Online check, defrag, and compression. Data Integrity. Anything to help ensure my data is safe and my system is peforming well is quite significant to me.

[now perhaps other file systems provide the same features at less cost, that is another discussion]
              Last edited by Craig73; 01 May 2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

It seems btrfs is very flexible.

@Energyman

I don't know about reiser4, but reiserfs will probably gain quite good performance improvement:

And btw - I disagree with those who feel the features are un-interesting to desktop users. Online check, defrag, and compression. Data Integrity. Anything to help ensure my data is safe and my system is peforming well is quite significant to me.
                Yeah, I wonder what features those desktop users expect? Cheats in games?
                Last edited by kraftman; 01 May 2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

NILFS?

I would have liked seeing NILFS (recently included in the kernel) added to the list of tested file systems. Up to now I have read very little about in comparison to others but it sounds very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by CheetoPet View Post
                    I find it impressive that such an immature filesystem is so competitive with the others that have been around for way longer. Sure it scored last in most of the benchmarks, but at least its in the same ballpark. I know there have been a lot of performance improvements that have gone into the .30 rc's, so it'll be interesting to see how that kernel improves over .29
                    Agree. Butter FS shows great promise in an early stage. Would like to see this test in a year from now. Scalability is a key feature for me.

W

Comment

Could you include nilfs next time?

Comment

Working...
                      X