No announcement yet.

Radeon KMS, New TTM Code Works But Needs Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll give it a try... but damn, those (kernel-)sources are big (I'm on a pretty slow connection). :/

Comment

I just tested with a X1700 and xorg-1.6.1 (on a gentoo / arch amd64)

KMS works but then X is not any more accelrated.

here's what I can see in Xorg.0.log :

EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed because of a version mismatch.
      [dri] radeon.o kernel module version is 2.0.0 but version 1.17.0 or newer is needed.
      [dri] Disabling DRI.

which to me seems a complete non sense

any idea ?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        I'll give it a try... but damn, those (kernel-)sources are big (I'm on a pretty slow connection). :/
        If you already have a local repository tracking another linux tree (e.g. mainline), you can tell git to share the objects, greatly reducing the amount of stuff that has to be downloaded (and saving disk space):
        Code:
        git clone --reference /the/existing/repo git://somewhere/drm-next
        (thanks to sharing I had to download only 4.5MiB)

Comment

kms doesn't work on r6xx/r7xx with this. at least not on my HD4870, i tried it about an hour ago.

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
            kms doesn't work on r6xx/r7xx with this. at least not on my HD4870, i tried it about an hour ago.
            The repo contains code only for radeons up to R580 (see radeon_asic_init); airlied drm tree (drm-rawhide branch) has kms code for r6xx and newer, but note that jglisse tree contains a different code base (refactored and cleaned up I think).

Comment

Originally posted by rem5 View Post
              any idea ?
              Either wrong libdrm, or wrong ddx, you need to install libdrm before configuring the ddx (also check that you are on the right branch) i guess we should do some kind of verbose configure script to actually explicitly state if KMS support is enabled or not.

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
                I should have be more explicit on that, i did not yet do the r6xx/r7xx bits, working on it. Hopefully next week it should be more or less cooked.

Comment

@tettamanti, it won't work with drm-rawhide either... believe me i've tried.

@glisse, thanks for the info

Comment

Well, it works. Trying the code on an x850, I'm unable to find any bugs remaining.

It is still pretty slow (eg 15fps in quake3 to a DRI2 redirected context), but I suppose that's to be expected at this point, really.

Comment

Is there an easier way to test? Are all the new bits already in fedora? Would it make sense to install fedora for testing or would i need to compile for myself anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X