Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year With ATI X1000 Linux Support

Phoronix: One Year With ATI X1000 Linux Support

In less than three weeks it will have been a year since ATI Technologies had added it's Radeon X1000 family (R500) support to their Linux binary drivers. When that support was finally added it came about six months after the hardware was actually introduced to the public accompanied by the Windows Catalyst drivers. Even with this six months time that developers had to work on the Linux package, the fglrx v8.24.8 driver (the version that had introduced R500 support) resulted in ATI's flagship GPU series facing a miserable beating by NVIDIA's 7800GTX and even the GeForce 6800GT. However, a year later and what will be twelve driver releases with R500 support, how does the performance now compare? In this article we will be comparing several R500 parts to see how the performance stacks up using the latest driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

when i tried doom3 with fglrx some time ago the low performance seemed really unnatural with my x1300 card. how big is the performance gap between windows and linux right now with ati cards?

i wish there were some more nvidia models to compare, e.g. some nvidia equivalent of average (~x1600) and budget models (x1300), to see the difference better.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      when i tried doom3 with fglrx some time ago the low performance seemed really unnatural with my x1300 card. how big is the performance gap between windows and linux right now with ati cards?

i wish there were some more nvidia models to compare, e.g. some nvidia equivalent of average (~x1600) and budget models (x1300), to see the difference better.
      Quite a bit of difference -- room for another article . Could use more NVIDIA cards in that next article if time allows.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

WTF is wrong with fglrx... doesn't care if you have a lowend or highend card, performance is nearly the same. How can that be?

Comment

that's probably because of those "proprietary optimizations" that were mentioned in ati statement :]

i'm still wondering whatever could it mean.

Comment

Working...
          X