Fedora 11 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susikala View Post
    Amarok is overrated in my opinion and is pure bloat in terms of performance, the area of sound isn't really something that's GNOME/KDE-specific (mpd, for example; I use moc).

Don't know Kate. I haven't used Krusader a lot because as I said, all my experiences with KDE ended up with trying to do something and things taking quite bloody long, which sort of takes the fun out of it. I'd say Nautilus / Thunar in that respect are much superior (especially the later, does exactly what it needs to do, nothing more, nothing less).

I do realise Webkit which is a great engine is based on KHTML, so kudos there to the KDE developers. Konquerer itself was ever slow in every test I did. I'd take Firefox over it every day or any console browser. But I do plan to switch over to Midori once it leaves alpha status (oh, the irony - it uses Webkit).

I can't be inclined to delve into every last application you mentioned, but one that indeed springs to mind positively as one of the best media players I've ever encountered is SMPlayer. It's really great, my only fault is that I try to avoid toolkit-based interfaces so using mplayer is more attractive for me. Otherwise I'd use it without thinking twice, willing even to sacrifice my wish to keep my box clean of qt-bloat.

But my post boils down to what I've already said. KDE is not essentially bad, it's just _slow_ and it bugs the crap out of me. I get more or less the same functionality without paying with so much juice for it.

At the end, cuique suum, wasn't it?
    That's not what I asked for and I didn't ask you . I know Gnome quiet good :> Maybe you should try KDE 4.2.2, because I didn't notice any bugs in this release (and KDE 4.2.3 should be available in few days, because some packages are already in Arch Linux testing repo ). QT4 isn't well accelerated on some cards yet. P.S. Dolphin is very similar to Thunar in my opinion and in some places KDE devs probably based on Gnome, because they slimmed down some apps etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      That's not what I asked for and I didn't ask you . I know Gnome quiet good :> Maybe you should try KDE 4.2.2, because I didn't notice any bugs in this release (and KDE 4.2.3 should be available in few days, because some packages are already in Arch Linux testing repo ). QT4 isn't well accelerated on some cards yet. P.S. Dolphin is very similar to Thunar in my opinion and in some places KDE devs probably based on Gnome, because they slimmed down some apps etc.
      Cool, I'll spin an arch install through kvm when I find some time and test it for myself. (I've wanted to test that distro anyway for some time now.)

Comment

I don't know, but I personally find most of the "features" in KDE apps. to be bloat. Nice to have, but ultimately don't really make the job any easier. I think that if GNOME devs. wanted to make apps. with just as many features they could, but that doesn't really fit with the GNOME "philosophy" .
        It's all preference really. Arguing over which one looks better or works better is useless, since those things are highly subjective to individual opinion. They both get the job done, so in the end what matters is how the end user likes to work and interact with his DE.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
          Cool, I'll spin an arch install through kvm when I find some time and test it for myself. (I've wanted to test that distro anyway for some time now.)
          Arch Linux is a really great distribution! Simple, rolling release and follows the KISS principle.

If you are going to try it, I recommend you to use KDEmod. it's a modular and tweaked package set of KDE with some useful additions.
          You have to only add an extra repository to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
            Arch Linux is a really great distribution! Simple, rolling release and follows the KISS principle.

If you are going to try it, I recommend you to use KDEmod. it's a modular and tweaked package set of KDE with some useful additions.
            Also 4.3 svn packages are great too http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44507, stability is on par with 4.2.3.

Comment

The best Linux distro in my opinion and new KDE packages appear in Arch even before official announcement. Btw. In Kubuntu KDE is about 70% in my native language and about 30% in English. In Arch 100% native language. I wonder if it's problem for them to just use KDE localization files?

@Melcar

Can you give some examples what's bloated in KDE? I find only usefull options here. If Gnome makes the job easier it's also highly subjective. This "philosophy" just doesn't allow me to do what I want and to have what I want to have. How long were you waiting for tabs in Thunar, because it wasn't clear if it's "right path"?

However tastes are different.

P.S. I don't like when some guru decides what's best for me and treats me like an idiot. If I don't like some feature I disable or ignore it.

P.S. 2 Really bloated was KDE 3, but KDE 4 is much slimmer IMHO.

P.S. 3 Sorry for frequently editing, but I see mistakes while after posting.

EDIT:

[I don't believe they can do apps with same number of features as KDE apps, because I never experienced this] Sorry, they're able to: Exile and some another Amarok like player, GIMP, Open Office (it's not Gnome, but I thought it's hard to do KDE rich feature apps using Gtk*, because lack of some visual designer tools).
              Last edited by kraftman; 02 May 2009, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post

@Melcar

Can you give some examples what's bloated in KDE? I find only usefull options here. If Gnome makes the job easier it's also highly subjective. This "philosophy" just doesn't allow me to do what I want and to have what I want to have. How long were you waiting for tabs in Thunar, because it wasn't clear if it's "right path"?

However tastes are different.

P.S. I don't like when some guru decides what's best for me and treats me like an idiot. If I don't like some feature I disable or ignore it.

P.S. 2 Really bloated was KDE 3, but KDE 4 is much slimmer IMHO.

P.S. 3 Sorry for frequently editing, but I see mistakes while after posting.

Didn't I just specify that it's all personal opinion? Maybe you don't consider particular features "bloat" but I do. It's just the way I like to work and get things done.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  Didn't I just specify that it's all personal opinion? Maybe you don't consider particular features "bloat" but I do. It's just the way I like to work and get things done.
                  Of course. I was just interested what specific features you don't like.

Comment

KDE is much more customizable than many DE, and of course, much more than GNOME.

For example, in GNOME you can only change some aspects of the theme, the color of the WM, of GTK and the icons. If you want more, you have to do it in some non GUI mode.

In KDE you can do anything, it is about customization!
                    In Dolphin (and many more apps) you can arrange (with the mouse) the position of all the panels, information, places, folders, terminal.
                    KDE has Plasma, which supports many widgets, also the ones from Google, OS X. Kwin has a build in compositor.
                    KDE uses many great technologies such as Phonon, Solid, Decibel, Nepomuk

KDE is not comparable to GNOME, the KDE apps are very integrated. Gnome doesn't even have a official music player, Rhythmbox has loosed his maintainer. You could say Banshee is the one, but it uses Mono (C#) which isn't part of Gnome it self, it isn't a "core technology", it's not integrated.

Also, some people say: "Qt is half proprietary" What??? It is about choose, you can choose if you want to use GPL, LGPL, QPL... You can use Qt with LGPL which is the same as GTK's license.

KDE has a directions to go, to evolve, thank's to the new great foundations of KDE 4 and Qt 4, it has future.

Some people choose one WM or the other DE, I choose KDE, thanks to the free/open source software you are able to choose what to use.

Let see what happens with the third version of Gnome.

Comment

Let see what happens with the third version of Gnome.
                      Not much is going to happen, look at gnome-session 'saving session' regression that everyone experienced gone so long unfixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X