Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 11 Preview

Phoronix: Fedora 11 Preview

Red Hat is expecting to deliver the final release of Fedora 11 in just less than one month, but today they have offered up a preview build of this next open-source Linux distribution update that is known as Leonidas. This afternoon we have screenshots of the Fedora 11 Preview release along with information on some of the changes.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The state of kernel mode-setting has fluctuated quite a bit in between the past few Fedora releases, but with Leonidas it should work across the board with Intel, ATI, and NVIDIA hardware."

I think that at least for NVIDIA hardware the support is experimental and disabled by default, and that it only works on geforce 8xxx and up.

Comment

lol gnome is so ugly. it almost scares me. it is so ugly that Windows 98 should smile looking at it. And no, don't tell me about themes. It's like telling an ugly woman to go plastic surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        lol gnome is so ugly. It almost scares me. It is so ugly that windows 98 should smile looking at it. And no, don't tell me about themes. It's like telling an ugly woman to go plastic surgery.
        rotflmao +10,000,000

Comment

GNOME was never about "fancy". Yes, it's simple and rather boring, but it does the job. I personally prefer KDE looks and dabble with KDE desktops every now and then, but I always find myself going back to GNOME when I just need to get things done. KDE I use mostly as a "toy" and use it on my secondary machines.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            lol gnome is so ugly. it almost scares me. it is so ugly that Windows 98 should smile looking at it. And no, don't tell me about themes. It's like telling an ugly woman to go plastic surgery.
            What is the market share of ugly women? Too high, too.

Comment

Whatever.

I'll take ugly and works over pretty and worthless any day of the week. I know how to use Gnome, how to tweak it, and how to beat it into submission and do whatever I want. It's easy now. It does what I want, how I want, and when I want.

KDE?
              Meh. If wading through 30 screens of options, half of which cause some sort of broken, ugly, poor, conflicting, or othwerise undesirable behavior is your idea of flexiblity and user friendliness... then you can keep it. I don't want any part of it.

Remember folks.. giving users a lot of crappy choices and hundreds of bits of broken functionality to choose from is not good usability. If you ever read anybody saying "Ah, ya but I don't like it. It's better to let the user to choose anyways" is somebody that should be dragged out into the street and told firmly, but in a polite manner "Stop it, your wrong.". Unless you have a solid, fully functional, standardized, default configuration with minimal brokenness then giving users lots of choices is the same as giving a user a choices between 40 guns that all point right at their feet.

Docks? AWN?
              Blah. I thought OS X's dock looked cool.. that is until I actually had to use the stupid thing. Looks cool, but otherwise is a complete waste of screen space. Always the blight of every OS X user.. bringing it to Linux was the only thing that could make it worse. Always in the way.. either you loose the bottom 15% (or side or top, take your pick) of your screen or you have to choose between covering up important parts of the windows you need or loosing access to the dock altogether without relying on juggling windows around.

XCFE?
              Gnome lite or GTK desktop done right? Neither. It's Gnome minus a bunch of usefulness and coherence. In actual practice only uses slightly less RAM. Sure it has better start up foot print, but that goes out the window once you actually start using lots of applications on it. If you stick to using 'pure Gnome' (that is as shipped by Gnome, not by Ubuntu) then it'll easily match XFCE.

Fluxbox? Blackbox? other 'lite' Window managers?

Nah... Keep your cryptic, oddly configured, and poorly documented configuration files to yourself. After a few years a person gets tired of having to google through mailing lists to actually get some usefulness out of the silly things. Which is what happenned with me.

Also anybody that thinks it's cool to have to learn a scripting language to use a Window manager should be dragged out into the street and told firmly 'please stop it, your wrong'. If you want to make something just for you and a couple other buddies to use.. that's fine. Just realize that it gives everybody else a huge headache to even think about using it.

etc etc etc. Line them up and I'll knock them down. There really isn't that much that is really that great out there. There is a lot to play around with a tweak to suit specific needs very well.. and there are other things that are borderline useless, but pretty to look at. But all of that really ends up to a big waste of time for most people who try them, unfortunately.

Here is the reality of the situation:

OpenBox kicks-ass.
              Compiz could be better. If Metacity had a 3D compositor and supported plugins then there would really be no need for it and would do a better job.
              OpenBox kicks-double-ass. It's amazing the difference decent documentation makes.

Unlike most Desktop Environments.. LXDE actually has real usefulness and a real purpose and lives up to it's promises. Not everybody can afford a decent computer and those people have real needs, too.

But when I am not using Gnome I am using Ratpoison. If your going to get a angsty desktop you might as well do it right. Ratpoison is the only one that does it right.

------------------

All the above is just ment to be taken very lightly. Everybody has their own tastes.

Oh. And Fedora 11 kicks ass.

Remember. Beauty is the in the eye of the beholder.

edit:
              Just so you know what I like in a UI...
              Last edited by drag; 29 April 2009, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Does someone know if KMS will work with Ati r500 in Leonidas?

@Drag

We'll see how things will look in the future, because Gnome is full of old and legacy crap. KDE guys have clean path to improve their DE thanks to new KDE 4 which is written from scratch (I suppose).
                Last edited by kraftman; 29 April 2009, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                  KDE?
                  Meh. If wading through 30 screens of options, half of which cause some sort of broken, ugly, poor, conflicting, or othwerise undesirable behavior is your idea of flexiblity and user friendliness... then you can keep it. I don't want any part of it.

Remember folks.. giving users a lot of crappy choices and hundreds of bits of broken functionality to choose from is not good usability. If you ever read anybody saying "Ah, ya but I don't like it. It's better to let the user to choose anyways" is somebody that should be dragged out into the street and told firmly, but in a polite manner "Stop it, your wrong.". Unless you have a solid, fully functional, standardized, default configuration with minimal brokenness then giving users lots of choices is the same as giving a user a choices between 40 guns that all point right at their feet.
                  That really means you have not used new KDE as FYI per default it works a lot better then default GNOME ... That's why nobody is crying when distros like Ubuntu and Fedora change Gnomes defaults, themes etc. On the other hand change something in KDE and you will get a bunch of angry users asking why the distro goes away from upstream defaults ...

For example: Cannonical new notifications were welcomed in GNOME, but Kubuntu community is against them and most people do not want to see them included in Karmic. Why ? because KDE already has a nice notification system.

Comment

Hey, let's not take sides.

--

Fact is, (X)Ubuntu starts here in about 20 seconds from GRUB and then works like a charm, Kubuntu needs like 40 seconds and is afterwards sluggish as hell. KDE is bloat without end.

So yeah, GNOME is bloated, but not to the point it's not usable.

Comment

Working...
                    X