Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon HD 3650 in Toshiba Satellite Notebook produces black screen under Ubuntu 9.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi bridgman,

thank you very much, this sounds very promising. Is there a way to tell the videocard via xorg.conf how much RAM it should use? I read something about the "vram" tag, but I do not know how to use it.

This notebook has a Intel CPU, but I do not know about the IGP.
    Specs:specs

I can only find these information in german, since this model is not on their english homepage. But the specs are English anyway...
    Last edited by kwandtum; 30 April 2009, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone,

any news from the devs?

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem. Ubuntu 10.04, latest updates.

Comment

MartinChir, does your system have switchable graphics ? If so is it Intel/AMD or AMD/AMD ?

When you say "same problem" do you just mean "black screen", or "black screen on the same hardware", or "obviously incorrect VRAM size message" ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            MartinChir, does your system have switchable graphics ? If so is it Intel/AMD or AMD/AMD ?

When you say "same problem" do you just mean "black screen", or "black screen on the same hardware", or "obviously incorrect VRAM size message" ?
            Hey Bridgman, I have a Intel + AMD (HD3650) & it's a Toshiba A350.

I was getting a black screen & system freeze.

I tried using "aticonfig acpi=off" now I get to the Ubuntu Logo screen & the video display halts there BUT I can now press the power button & the system shuts down correctly.

Is there command to show the VRAM size or do I have to dig the ati log? I'm sure it will come back incorrect but I can check if it will be helpful

Comment

I'm not aware of a command to display vram size but check aticonfig -help output.
              Test signature

Comment

Same, it's trying to allocate all RAM to the video card.

Removing 2gb of RAM from the system fixed the issue but it's going back in, I need to virtualize & this is clearly a Linux bug.

Comment

My understanding from the devs is that problems with 4GB RAM are usually related to system BIOS problems - some of them can be worked around in the driver but others require workarounds in the OS, at least that's what I picked up from a hallway discussion. Checking for system BIOS updates is always a good first step - don't know if there are known issues on your specific hardware though...
                  Test signature

Comment

Haha!

Well I found like 10 different threads from different forums describing in different words the same problem, mostly with the A350 Toshiba.

So I thought I would go caveman & tried Ubuntu 10.10 alpha, and guess what? The devs must have listened coz it's fixed, with hardware effects and all.

Comment

problem is solved

the problem can be solved also in all earlier linux distributions (ex. openSuse 11.2, Ubuntu 9..., Debian 5). When we boot the system, just write in command line in GRUB below option:

pci=use_crs

Regards
                      B.

Comment

Working...
                      X