• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a X2 card working this weekend.

try this:

If you have questions ask here.

Comment

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I have identified another problem very similar to the 4870x2 or 4850x2 problems that other people have had. Not sure if it is related or not.

Actually I have the following:
      a 4850x2
      a single 4850
      The motherboard has an ATI 3300 on it.

I can NOT get LINUX 9.5 or 9.4 to work using the 3 4850 GPUs in crossfire; I have the same lockups shown in the screenshots on page one of this thread. I don't remember the last version that worked... it was either 9.3 or 9.2. Windows Catalyst hasn't had problems for awhile and works fine.

Anyway... I've tried everything. Manual install, auto install. Ubuntu repository install. aticonfig this aticonfig that aticonfig the other thing.

I finally took out BOTH the 4850x2 and the 4850 cards and booted from the onboard video card: ATI 3300. The linux Catlyst 9.5 driver boots right up works just fine with no problems as long as the onboard 3300 is the only card in the system.

THEN I installed the a single 4850 card. BOOM. Weird screen and lockup whether I had the DFI-D plugged into the motherboard's 3300 DVI plug OR the 4850's plug. (Obviously changing the BIOS to tell it where to display.) I also disabled the 3300 onboard video in the bios and it still would not work on the single 4850.

This is the same weird screen lock thing that people have seen with 4870x2 and 4850x2 cards; just like xakep posted screen shots of on the first page of this thread.

This happens whether the on board 3300 was enabled or disabled in bios. It might have something to do with me not using the onboard plug; but it DEFINITELY has something to do with plugging in a second video card. (and probably is directly related to the "x2" problem since that is basically the exact same thing as having two cards.)

I'm sure this isn't a lot of new info... but I thought I'd post my results.
      Last edited by keithlm; 16 May 2009, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Some good news.

People at IRC #ATI channel confirmed that upcoming 9.5 drivers will support R600 and R700 based cards with full 2D Acceleration there is no word on 3D but I have a feeling there will be partial. The reason I am saying this because full 3D acceleration on ATI cards works only with old pre HDxxxx cards. That's my understanding so if I am wrong correct me. Now 9.5 Drivers should of been here already, Friday I've been told the release day it did not happen well let's see what's up cause I was waiting whole day. With full 3.1 OpenGL support things should be much better from now on. Who knows in 3-4 releases we may see nice working and tweaked out driver for Ubuntu

Cheers !

Comment

IT's here 9.5 !!!

IT is not on amd.com website yet but I manage to get you a link

here it is !

Comment

Originally posted by XAKEP View Post
            People at IRC #ATI channel confirmed that upcoming 9.5 drivers will support R600 and R700 based cards with full 2D Acceleration there is no word on 3D but I have a feeling there will be partial. The reason I am saying this because full 3D acceleration on ATI cards works only with old pre HDxxxx cards. That's my understanding so if I am wrong correct me.
            Is there any chance you're mixing status of the open and closed drivers ? The Catalyst driver (closed source) has supported 3D acceleration on HD2xxx and above boards for a long time; it's the *open* source Mesa driver which is just picking up HD (6xx/7xx) support now.

A few people have reported crashes running HD4xxx X2 boards with Catalyst and Ubuntu Jaunty, maybe that's what you're thinking of ? AFAIK those problems are specific to Jaunty support and do not occur on Intrepid.

Originally posted by XAKEP View Post
            Now 9.5 Drivers should of been here already, Friday I've been told the release day it did not happen well let's see what's up cause I was waiting whole day.
            Just curious, where are you getting these release dates ? I know some people expect us to release on the same date every month but that's not the way it works.
            Last edited by bridgman; 16 May 2009, 06:43 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Is there any chance you're mixing status of the open and closed drivers ? The Catalyst driver (closed source) has supported 3D acceleration on HD2xxx and above boards for a long time; it's the *open* source Mesa driver which is just picking up HD (6xx/7xx) support now.

A few people have reported crashes running HD4xxx X2 boards with Catalyst and Ubuntu Jaunty, maybe that's what you're thinking of ? AFAIK those problems are specific to Jaunty support and do not occur on Intrepid.

Just curious, where are you getting these release dates ? I know some people expect us to release on the same date every month but that's not the way it works.
              I downloaded the Windows and Linux 9.5 drivers from the links that were posted by users at the forums.amd.com. These links pointed to the same servers that are used for the "official" 9.4 drivers.

Apparently these links have now been disabled and a moderator on that amd forum has mentioned that the drivers are delayed until monday. The moderator also mentioned that if you already obtained these files "manually" like I did you won't need to download them again at that time.

But in the meanwhile, I have already found the problem I mentioned above with using these drivers on a motherboard with a built in ATI HD3300. The lockup problem with Ubuntu 9.04 may or may not have fixed, and the problems with the drives for users with "x2" cards may also be fixed, but it doesn't matter to me: the same or very similar system lockup still exists on my system. I would have to buy a new motherboard without the integrated ATI HD3300 to get these drivers to work. (Because as I said above disabling the HD3300 in BIOS does not fix the problem.)

I may get a new motherboard... it is possible. Then this problem would be solved. The one I have now was bought when my older 790FX motherboard started having problems. (So I bought the only AM2+ board I could get locally on a sunday.) I might go ahead and get a new Phenom 955 AM3 chip and a new AM3 motherboard and new DDR3 memory. But I'm kind of waiting to find out about the 890 chipset release and benefits.

In the meanwhile it would be good to get a fixed driver that will allow me to use the motherboard I have now. (Or figure out how to tell the driver to completely ignore the onboard HD3300 OR how to see the first discrete video card which is at the PCI:3:0:0 port. If there is a xorg.conf or aticonfig way to tell it to do that. Adding the PCI port in the xorg.conf doesnt' work.)
              Last edited by keithlm; 16 May 2009, 01:59 PM.

Comment

OK, once I figured out you weren't XAKEP everything made a lot more sense j

The links normally go active a day or so before the driver is officially posted so we can do some end-to-end testing and finalize the release notes. Nothing is official until we announce, although as the mod said the initial links are usually the ones we keep.

I'm guessing which OS you are using, based on your comments above Ubuntu 8.10 seems most likely. Am I close ?

I looked around to see if you had posted an Xorg log and didn't see one; can you pastebin a long from one of the failing configs ? Best would be 3300 plus single 4850.
                Test signature

Comment

OK, once I figured out you weren't XAKEP everything made a lot more sense j

The links normally go active a day or so before the driver is officially posted so we can do some end-to-end testing and finalize the release notes. Nothing is official until we announce, although as the mod said the initial links are usually the ones we keep.

I'm guessing which OS you are using, based on your comments above Ubuntu 8.10 seems most likely. Am I close ?

I looked around to see if you had posted an Xorg log and didn't see one; can you pastebin a long from one of the failing configs ? Best would be 3300 plus single 4850.
                  Same problem with Ubuntu 8.10 OR 9.04; the 9.5 and 9.4 drivers do the same thing.

UPDATE:
                  Onboard 3300 works alone.

Single 4850 works in PEG1 slot with 3300 enabled or disabled IF video is plugged into 4850. The 3300 is not seen by the OS (dmesg) regardless of whether it is enabled in the bios or not. I am going to again test with the monitor plugged to the 3300 and the single 4890 installed.

PCI NOTE: The single 4850 ends up using PCI 1:0:0.When the X2 card is plugged in... the X2 uses 3:0:0 and 4:0:0 and somehow it makes the single 4850 card use 5:0:0. So nothing is on 1:0:0 at that time.

(Going to test more.)

PS. I'll post some logs when I get more details and figure out what is happening a bit more.

Comment

Sounds good. I wonder if there are hard-coded PCI bus addresses in the xorg conf which are causing you grief when cards are added or removed ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Sounds good. I wonder if there are hard-coded PCI bus addresses in the xorg conf which are causing you grief when cards are added or removed ?
                      No because I'm changing them to correctly point to whatever is shown in the DMESG.

Anyway... no success on the 4850x2 even when used alone.

Looking more.

BTW: Xorg.0.log below created right after doing he following following:

Starting with default (failsafe) xorg.conf:
                      aticonfig --initial -f
                      aticonfig --cfa --adapter=all
                      aticonfig --cf=on --adapter=all
                      <reboot>

http://pastebin.com/m75522287

(Locks up on black screen. Doesn't matter if I do the --cfa/--cf=on or not... it will lock up.)
                      Last edited by keithlm; 16 May 2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X