Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    when ubuntu is delivered with dell machines it hurts redhat and novell

also opensuse and fedora are testbeds for sles and rhel.

Last&worst, it is a marketing scheme get the people with free stuff (ubuntu cds) so you can sell them subscriptions later (canonical support).

Ubuntu is bad for linux.
    Umm actually Dell is also a partner with Novell as is IBM and there are a few other OEM's that offer either SLED or openSUSE. Novell, Redhat, Mandriva and many others also make their product to sell support. It's their main business model so singling out Ubuntu as the only commercial distro out there being the only ones interested in selling support is quite frankly completely false.

While openSUSE is a base for SLES and SLED it is community ran with a community elected board. SLED and SLES is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      Unfortunately this is untrue. I know quite some people which got in contact with Linux first through Ubuntu and hate Linux now or rather consider Linux a piece of shit and inferior to Windows due to tons of non-working shit. So yes, they DO damage Linux.
      So are you saying they would be more impressed if they were to use fedora? I doubt it, I ran into just as many issues with ubuntu as fedora when trying out both of them, and I try out both of them once a year or more.

Comment

when ubuntu is delivered with dell machines it hurts redhat and novell

also opensuse and fedora are testbeds for sles and rhel.

Last&worst, it is a marketing scheme get the people with free stuff (ubuntu cds) so you can sell them subscriptions later (canonical support).

Ubuntu is bad for linux.
        Red hat has said themselves that they are not competing in Desktop Linux space. At least not in the sense of going on consumer desktop machines.

This is from 2008, but I have not heard anything that says they plan anything for the desktop. The only thing Red Hat has is fedora, a community distribution that is considered cutting/bleading edge. I would go more on the bleeding side since they do put in a lot of things that are just not ready.

So since both of them are not aiming for desktop Linux I guess we should have dell Linux on their laptops instead? Of course they could go with Xandros, or Gos. Are those great alternatives. In fact maybe they should go with Android, will that make the Linux desktop better?
        The Linux desktop market is what it is. There are tons of distros, and tons of netbooks they are on. I think there are 5-10 different distros for the 5-10 netbooks that Linux is on. Ubuntu is just one of the distros, and they are only on Dell so far, and yet they have the best return rate out of all the Linux netbooks. I wonder why...

Can any of you guys actually post links to your absurd claims other then "well I have friends and they don't like Ubuntu"

Comment

Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
          I wonder why...

Can any of you guys actually post links to your absurd claims other then "well I have friends and they don't like Ubuntu"
          Oh don't go there with that here. You will only be replied with "It's all lies Windows Fanboi".

Comment

well, start with Greg's linux plumbers video.

Ubuntu takes. Ubuntu does not give back. It attacks the business model of companies who do give back. As such it is bad. Ubuntu is all about press releases and noise in the media. Nothing else.

Ubuntu has done what? Easy linux? Have been done before. Mepis for example.

Comment

well, start with Greg's linux plumbers video.

Ubuntu takes. Ubuntu does not give back. It attacks the business model of companies who do give back. As such it is bad. Ubuntu is all about press releases and noise in the media. Nothing else.

Ubuntu has done what? Easy linux? Have been done before. Mepis for example.
              Smoke and screen show? Yes I can agree with that. They don't give much back to the linux community as a whole.

Comment

I just wish my computer would play BZflag on linux as well as it does in windows....

Comment

The Linux community, much like politics, religion and life in general, has a 'not invented here' mentality. People like to reinvent the wheel and be able to say they own the best solution to the problem everyone faces, when in reality there are many times multiple solutions to the same problem. Sometimes the best solution is not widely adopted at first (or ever) because another solution was adopted by more of the people facing the problem for whatever reason.

In the case of Linux distributions there is no single best solution to a problem. Ubuntu is one solution for many problems users face, and many people believe it is a good one. Some people on this forum and other places in the Linux community don't like this fact for whatever reason, and their response only serves to weaken the overall Linux community because they choose to attack a single distribution.

It's absurd to think that Ubuntu or any other distribution is bad for Linux... the Linux community is full of various distribution working to solve problems in their own way. This is a good thing, but Linux is hurt in some ways by the fact that there is no benevolent dictator forcing the community to follow standards and adopt a single solution/package to any given problem. It also benefits from this fact.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
                    The Linux community, much like politics, religion and life in general, has a 'not invented here' mentality. People like to reinvent the wheel and be able to say they own the best solution to the problem everyone faces, when in reality there are many times multiple solutions to the same problem. Sometimes the best solution is not widely adopted at first (or ever) because another solution was adopted by more of the people facing the problem for whatever reason.

In the case of Linux distributions there is no single best solution to a problem. Ubuntu is one solution for many problems users face, and many people believe it is a good one. Some people on this forum and other places in the Linux community don't like this fact for whatever reason, and their response only serves to weaken the overall Linux community because they choose to attack a single distribution.

It's absurd to think that Ubuntu or any other distribution is bad for Linux... the Linux community is full of various distribution working to solve problems in their own way. This is a good thing, but Linux is hurt in some ways by the fact that there is no benevolent dictator forcing the community to follow standards and adopt a single solution/package to any given problem. It also benefits from this fact.
                    I duno how to say it man. You hit the nail on the head. I suppose it helps that all distributions have the same kernel (mind the version). We would begin to see problems if we had say, the ubuntu linux kernel or red hat kernel that broke source compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X