X.Org 7.5 Release Schedule Revised For July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    A while ago I talked to some developers about offering up a bounty if they can release on schedule, but they didn't seem to be interested. Granted, most of these developers are already paid to work on X full-time.
    Was that because they are full time already? or is it because when you step back and look at the bigger picture there is already tonnes of work going into the graphics stack overall, and Xorg itself is relatively unimportant right now?

Perhaps the release approach is wrong - why can't it just be a quarterly release of all the work available to go out, so that bug fixes get out and features come when they do.

And if there are blocker bugs or critical features that are not coming - don't throw more money at the existing (likely overworked developers who haven't prioritized it), use it to contract a new developer for X months a year to clear bugs and features.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
      Maybe they should use nVidia's tactic of releasing "beta" versions every 48-96 hours. It seems to fool the right people...
      That just makes it easy to spot the fan boys, who are abnormally quiet about Nouveau and NV releases, but have everything to say about FGLRX or open source ATI releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Ubuntu 8.04 LTS also has mplayer 1.0 RC2, and unreleased ffmpeg. Of course these projects aren't as important as X.Org or Linux kernel.
        Finally someone agrees with me that Ubuntu isn't all that important.

*ducks*

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
          Finally someone agrees with me that Ubuntu isn't all that important.

*ducks*
          Hahaha. I was also going to say I don't use Ubuntu but thought better of it.

Comment

can they do it?

i certainly hope so as i want to see this in opensuse 11.2.

Comment

Originally posted by R3MF View Post
              i certainly hope so as i want to see this in opensuse 11.2.
              July 31 is OpenSuse 11.2's "Feature and version freeze for the base system" milestone. With the Xorg release planed for the middle of July it could be a close call especially if they are running late.

Comment

DRI2? MPX? xorg 7.5 would seem to me the the most significant release of X in some time- maybe since XFree86 forked- and maybe you could go as far as saying this is the most significant release of X since its inception? I just did!

xorg 7.5! Gallium in Mesa! Public R600/R700 driver trees! 2009 is truly the year when everything aligns (at least improves SIGNIFICANTLY) for the open source graphics stack and why the post-Karmic Linux gaming world could be entirely different beast to its currently wimpy self.

Jaunty is barely a warm up - it'll be be post-Karmic distros that'll really be giving Ballmer a headache, headache HEADACHE!!!

Comment

I don't see it happening. To equal Windows' functionality you would need a load of packages. Those packages probably wouldn't integrate as well as the Windows components do.

Another part of the problem is choice. Do I target my app for ALSA, PulseAudio, or OSS4?

Comment

There's an easy answer for the sound problem: target the pulseaudio-safe subset of ALSA by targeting the ALSA-safe subset of OSS

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                      July 31 is OpenSuse 11.2's "Feature and version freeze for the base system" milestone. With the Xorg release planed for the middle of July it could be a close call especially if they are running late.

http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap/11.2
                      i see what you are saying, but it would be a great disappointment if suse failed to ship with 7.5.

presumably ubuntu 8:10 and fedora 12 would miss out too.

Comment

Working...
                      X