Alt-tabbing & maximize/unmaximize became slow in Ubuntu 9.04/fglrx 9-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    In any case, this bug (maximizing and restoring) has been there for a long time.
    I have to disagree here. The two second delay is new and it came with Jaunty. You may think two seconds isn't much to complain about, but it's a showstopper preventing any fruitful use of the desktop. I did not experience it with 8.10 or 8.04.

Using an ATI HD3870, fglrx driver and Metacity, I experience the delay with:
    - Window minimizing
    - Window maximizing
    - Window restore
    - Workspace switch

This issue does not affect moving windows around as that does not suffer from any delays. Window resize has always been slow but that's a different issue I believe.

Edit: I would also like to point out that during the two second delay, the system is unresponsive and CPU load peaks at 100%.
    Last edited by vleino; 28 April 2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vleino View Post
      I have to disagree here. The two second delay is new and it came with Jaunty. You may think two seconds isn't much to complain about, but it's a showstopper preventing any fruitful use of the desktop. I did not experience it with 8.10 or 8.04.
      You misunderstood RealNC: he stated that the issue also occured with Xorg 1.5 (which is true) and that Ubuntu probably patched Xorg 1.5 to avoid this issue (which is also true). Distributions with unpatched Xorg 1.5 also displayed the delay issue you are seeing now (e.g. ArchLinux).

The fact is that Ubuntu dropped these patches on Jaunty, because they caused problems with KDE. They also flashed harmless noise on Gnome whenever you restored a window, but few people cared about that.

This is a driver issue, fair and square. It should be fixed in fglrx, not worked-around with hacks that display garbage on window resize / restore.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        You misunderstood RealNC: he stated that the issue also occured with Xorg 1.5 (which is true) and that Ubuntu probably patched Xorg 1.5 to avoid this issue (which is also true). Distributions with unpatched Xorg 1.5 also displayed the delay issue you are seeing now (e.g. ArchLinux).
        I see, fair enough. Thank you for the insight.

The fact is that Ubuntu dropped these patches on Jaunty, because they caused problems with KDE. They also flashed harmless noise on Gnome whenever you restored a window, but few people cared about that.
        I noticed the memory garbage with GNOME and thought it was annoying. It gave the impression of a low quality product (Ubuntu as a whole) even if it is purely a display driver issue.

This is a driver issue, fair and square. It should be fixed in fglrx, not worked-around with hacks that display garbage on window resize / restore.
        I wholeheartedly agree and I cannot comprehend how a major display adapter vendor can allow such a low quality of user experience with their products.

Comment

Mind you that these issues are only present under composition. The driver is currently undergoing some changes in this area and is somewhat expected that things will break along the way. I guess ATI can remove composite support altogether and bring it out again until all the issues are resolved, but then people would complain over the lack of features.

Comment

I have the same issue with the nouveau driver on nv50 hardware.

Comment

You misunderstood RealNC: he stated that the issue also occured with Xorg 1.5 (which is true) and that Ubuntu probably patched Xorg 1.5 to avoid this issue (which is also true).
              I tried to find this patch but I failed to do so. BlackStar, can you please point me to the patch or to some launchpad bug report or other location where the issue is discussed? I would like to try to port the patch because the delay is very disturbing to my.

Best regards and thank you

Matt

Comment

This is my experience:

- With intrepid and fglrx < 9.3, I got some issues with maximizing being slow and slow resizing. (Yakuake beeing slow when hitting F12)
                - With intrepid and fglrx > 9.3 worked flawlessly. With okay snappy resizing and no delay on maximizing windows.

--------------------

- Jaunty with the latest driver from ati, fglrx 9.4... Again slow when maximizing. Yakuake is slow again (under compiz). Resizing is choppy with compiz.

||
                V

Why is the choppyness going away from 9.2 to 9.3 under intrepid? Why is it introduced again under Jaunty?

Comment

I am also experiencing this issue. Minimizing/maximizing windows is very annoying. Loading an application that opens more than one window at a time makes the system completely unresponsive for several seconds. EG: Connecting to a BNC in xchat that spawns 6 or 7 channel windows after it connects will take ~15 seconds to completely display all channel windows on the screen. During that time, the computer is completely unresponsive. This seems like a critical bug for me.

Disabling Compiz makes everything snappy again. At least it does on my system.

Comment

This bug now appearing on Ubuntu is a good thing. It means AMD/ATI will be forced to actually notice the bug and deal with it since many people are on Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                      This is my experience:

- With intrepid and fglrx < 9.3, I got some issues with maximizing being slow and slow resizing. (Yakuake beeing slow when hitting F12)
                      - With intrepid and fglrx > 9.3 worked flawlessly. With okay snappy resizing and no delay on maximizing windows.

--------------------

- Jaunty with the latest driver from ati, fglrx 9.4... Again slow when maximizing. Yakuake is slow again (under compiz). Resizing is choppy with compiz.

||
                      V

Why is the choppyness going away from 9.2 to 9.3 under intrepid? Why is it introduced again under Jaunty?
                      Maybe fglrx has issues with xserver 1.6? It would make sense seeing as the problems were not as serious under the previous Ubuntu. However, the fact that even other drivers are having similar issues under the same circumstances leads me to think that the source of the problem is not on the drivers themselves (or at least, not entirely).
                      Composite never performed that well to begin with, except under nvidia (usually), and we all know what nvidia does with their drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X