Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion: Bugzilla for PTS bug tracking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Bugzilla for PTS bug tracking?

Hi,

spending some time on PTS 1.8 I found several "issues" already. Posted them all here in the forum (sorry for the flood, btw), but I'm afraid that this is still suboptimal.

How about setting up a bugzilla tracker for all the issues that are known and maybe already fixed. Would be nice to file an issue for a component like e.g. yafray there so that the next one that stumbles over the same issue has a good chance to find the solution right there without searching the forums.

Just an idea to be discussed.

Regards
    Rainer

P.S.: Thanks for the good work on PTS anyway, even if it looks like I'm complaining a lot lately I just want to help improving PTS.

Hi Rainer,

A BugZilla has been considered, but at this time I am not too sure how much more beneficial it would be over just the forums. Frankly, whenever a real bug is reported, I usually have it fixed within a day or so (though I haven't yet looked at your other posts, I am currently out of town). If this though changes in the future or anything, I would be glad to set it up if it proved to be of significant benefit to all parties.

Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

My vision of benefits

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Hi Rainer,

A BugZilla has been considered, but at this time I am not too sure how much more beneficial it would be over just the forums. Frankly, whenever a real bug is reported, I usually have it fixed within a day or so (though I haven't yet looked at your other posts, I am currently out of town). If this though changes in the future or anything, I would be glad to set it up if it proved to be of significant benefit to all parties.

Michael
      Hi Michael,

I see a great benefit of Mozilla over the forums: Bugzilla can be structured by "components" and so all relevant information for a test is collected together. Its just a bit more "discipline" in there. Example: Yesterday I tried the etqw test, but it didn't work out. So now I search the forum and get a lot of stuff on etqw, but nothing that "triggers my mind" with "this thread is describing my problem. So I need to start reading all of the threads to see if helpful information is there or not.

From my point of view, forums are nice for discussion but if it comes to bug tracking I'd really prefer tools like Bugzilla.

The more I try out with PTS the more issues I find actually. I can't tell if they are related to Fedora 10 or to PTS whatever, if I would report all this forum would be flooded :-) Unfortunately my time is limited, but next week I will assign "try out PTS intensively" to another member of our team here. So there might be more bug reports and questions coming up.

Regards
      Rainer

Comment

Originally posted by Rainer K?nig View Post
        I find actually. I can't tell if they are related to Fedora 10 or to PTS whatever, if I would report all this forum would be flooded :-) Unfortunately my time is limited, but next week I will assign "try out PTS intensively" to another member of our team here. So there might be more bug reports and questions coming up.
        Bring on the flood! I think we will find that most of the bugs are just misunderstandings or areas where the documentation can be improved upon for the user.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

+1 to bugzilla. The search capabilities of the forums is very limited and bugzilla can offer refinement of a search and email the user back with bug status as well as attachments

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Bring on the flood! I think we will find that most of the bugs are just misunderstandings or areas where the documentation can be improved upon for the user.
            Ok, you were asking for it.

I will try out some things this week and I will also assign my student to the job of trying out a lot of benchmarks and reporting every error or problem that he discovers.

Regards
            Rainer

Comment

Working...
            X