State of video playback on ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    2. An *attempt* to allow the use of UVD/UVD2 in open source drivers. We have committed to try, but I don't know if this will work or not. The primary risks here all relate to making sure we don't weaken the robustness of DRM implementations on other OSes by providing information to support Linux.
    With other OSs, you surely mean Windows, right? I believe the radeon driver is easily portable to the *BSDs etc. I might be wrong, but I believed that was one of its positive aspects.

Comment

Without getting too specific, think about which popular OSes do *not* use the X windowing system and *do* require robust DRM.

In other words, not BSD or Solaris
      Last edited by bridgman; 22 April 2009, 03:26 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

So... what bridgman is saying is that the DRM requirments of "other OSes" is making driver implementation on linux harder?

Gee, what a surprise! Who could have seen that one coming?!

Comment

Originally posted by jimbobsma View Post
          Has there been any word on how much video decoding is being planned for the r600 and upwards chipsets? I'm the proud owner of an RV670 with a Q6600 but struggling to watch 1080p h.264 encoded video under GNU/Linux.

Also, will video decoding be part of the radeon / radeonhd driver, or is that outside the scope of these projects?

-JBM
          If you use mplayer (or smplayer, anything that uses mplayer as the actual video player), the latest versions of mplayer-mt have worked wonders for me (the bit about the git pulls and using the ffmpeg-mt branch): http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

I have an Athlon X2 7750 Black edition that your Q6600 is almost certainly faster than and the multithreaded mplayer + the flicker-free xv video in the open-source ATI driver makes my 3200HD great for 1080p in my media center. No more stuttering or struggling with videos. I'd rather have the UVD working so I could use a much slower CPU that generates less heat, but since you have the CPU power, may as well fully use it. I don't think any distros ship with it by default, so you'll have to compile it yourself, but it's pretty stable and works well.
          Last edited by Pitabred; 22 April 2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            2. An *attempt* to allow the use of UVD/UVD2 in open source drivers. We have committed to try, but I don't know if this will work or not. The primary risks here all relate to making sure we don't weaken the robustness of DRM implementations on other OSes by providing information to support Linux.
            Gee Hollywood, thanks a lot .

Anyway, your efforts are appreciated bridgman, cheers .

Comment

Working...
            X