• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have got no ogg files

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I have got no ogg files
      Hmmm, maybe you being the death of FOSS is true after all......

Comment

As you can not play ogg everywhere basically mp3 is the format to go, when you don't want to store your data twice.

Comment

As you can not play ogg everywhere basically mp3 is the format to go, when you don't want to store your data twice.
          Maybe I'll just go pedantic here and remind you that you're not talking about ogg but ogg vorbis. (ogg being a container that could also contain eg flac)
          Edit: Or at least I would be surprised if you were since comparing FLAC to MP3 would be kinda like comparing a concert to someone singing in the shower.

Comment

I did not compare quality or whatever. If you define ogg as container or audio format it does not matter, as there are basically no external players which support it. Amarok+xine-engine+mp3 format = no problems at all. I will not convert any files from mp3 to ogg as reencoding degrades quality. The other way it is the same.

Comment

I did not compare quality or whatever. If you define ogg as container or audio format it does not matter, as there are basically no external players which support it.
              Well, afaik it would be a bit like saying that a certain player can play MPEG4 when it can only play divx. Then someone would try to run xvid on the player and be shocked it didn't work. (MPEG4 is a container which can include eg divx, xvid or h.264 or all so that would be a valid statement) We actually ran into this very same issue with DVD players which were advertised to have MPEG4 support.

Comment

Also for the record, OGG Vorbis works fine here on Amarok 2.0.2.

Comment

Amarok 2 with xine also doesn't seek smoothly, I have this problem on 2 different PCs, one with on-board sound card and other with Auzen X-Fi Prelude, both of them run archlinux and base alsa. I will stick to mpg123 / xmms, low memory footprint and fast playlist query is what interest me. For Auzen X-Fi Prelude I just boot XP and use foobar2000 since I need something that works correclty, I have put lot of money into that card, got dual opa637bp op-amps, panasonic fm / rubycon blackgate nx capacitors.

Comment

Hehe lookie at this, motherfucking concrete evidence why free software still sucks ass, especially kde4 and their piece of shit amarok (fast forward motto lol, takes +100MB just to launch and grind your hdd with mysql shit, like we need a fucking need sql database to organize the info)

That's right, 4000 mp3 loaded in timely fashion, great efficiency, just like xmms. And best of all, I can fucking seek/crossfade smoothly! Sound is perfect too.

Comment

It's a shame that all you can do is scream profanity at those who work hard to give you a free ride, instead of offering to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X