Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Pushes Out New R600/700 3D Code

Phoronix: AMD Pushes Out New R600/700 3D Code

In late December AMD had published open-source R600/700 3D code that also allowed for 2D and X-Video acceleration, but was not of use to end-users interested in full OpenGL acceleration. AMD had then released the R600/700 3D documentation a month later and then the R700 ISA documentation just a few weeks back. Today, however, AMD is finally pushing some workable code into a public code repository.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully this will extend to the rv870 when it is released. Looking forward to my next graphic card purchase, now that we have 3d(sorta) available in an open source driver for new cards.

Comment

Woo yeah!! Nearly there now. I might actually try this stuff out but I'm confused about what's required to run it.

Comment

This is awesome, thanks AMD!

Comment

That is a synopsis of what is going on today within the open-source ATI world.
          Don't forget the power management thread

And OpenCL

Comment

Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
            Hopefully this will extend to the rv870 when it is released. Looking forward to my next graphic card purchase, now that we have 3d(sorta) available in an open source driver for new cards.
            Luckily, the R8xx still bases around the R6xx architecture, so it should be able to use a great part of this code.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Luckily, the R8xx still bases around the R6xx architecture, so it should be able to use a great part of this code.
              Bridgman shared in a post for some time ago, that the whole problem of releasing the 3D specs was the DRM (Digital Restrictions Management).

For the R800 this was taken into account, so the 3D stuff and DRM was separated.

So the R800 will maybe not (?) share much with R6xx and R7xx ?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                For the R800 this was taken into account, so the 3D stuff and DRM was separated.
                Let's wait to see if it has happened yet. I wouldn't be too surprised if this will begin with R9xx only. Designing a chip takes years.

So the R800 will maybe not (?) share much with R6xx and R7xx ?
                I don't think that seperating DRM and 3D will have very strong differences in the code.

Comment

Let's wait to see if it has happened yet. I wouldn't be too surprised if this will begin with R9xx only. Designing a chip takes years.
                  I can't remember his exact quote, so you could be right, that it was for R900 based cards. But I really remember it as being for R800 based.

I don't think that seperating DRM and 3D will have very strong differences in the code.
                  At least for now, there isn't any information on R800.

What is the typical life cycle for ATi cards? 2years?

Comment

More like 3-4 years for a new generation. We're already hooked into future GPU development work so the delay from intro to open source driver support should be shorter than for previous generations when we were mostly playing "catch-up".

One of the big changes with 6xx was at least partially separating the programming model from the hardware implementation, so big changesa in the hardware have relatively less impact on the driver than in previous generations. 6xx and 7xx are very different hardware implementations but the programming interface is pretty similar. The downside was that it took a lot of work to get drivers running on the new programming model in the first place, but we're mostly past that now.

The discussion about "separating" was for DRM and UVD, shouldn't have any impact on 3D. I obviously can't comment on status.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 18 April 2009, 12:31 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X