No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.4 Finally Brings X Server 1.6 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kensai, do you have time time/knowledge to patch the driver in order to activate the older cards? that would be great. like i said, fiddling with unsupported drivers is better then no drivers to play with. And anyway, at least for me, the fglrx never where production quality anyway

best regards

PS: no offense to your work bridgeman.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Hi Kensai; I think we're talking about two different things. You said that 9.4 would be the exact same driver that Ubuntu shipped, I said wait for the 9.4 final. I read back through the thread some more and it looks like you were mostly thinking about 2.6.29 support.

I might have misunderstood your point since you said "it would be exactly the same although we might add 2.6.29 support"; we didn't add 2.6.29 support but among other things, we completed Redirected Direct Rendering support between the Ubuntu early driver and the final 9.4.
      hmmmmmm. I had hard segfault after resize window with Xvideo. So, you say that "you completed Redirected Direct Rendering". Interesting.

Comment

Redirected direct rendering doesn't really affect Xv; RDR allows a direct-rendering client (like the 3D driver) to have its output redirected through a compositor.
        Test signature

Comment

Redirected direct rendering doesn't really affect Xv; RDR allows a direct-rendering client (like the 3D driver) to have its output redirected through a compositor.
          My question. Why you add to official driver unstable XVideo redirection. Is it good politics ? If something is unstable please disable it in drivers. I don`t want unstable Xvideo. Better for me will be unredirected stable Xvideo. ;-)

Comment

Huh ? Xvideo has been redirecting for a few months already. Are you saying that it never worked for you, or that it stopped working in 9.4 ?

If you want unredirected Xv then just turn off the compositor. You can't use unredirected outputs under a compositor anyways.
            Test signature

Comment

Why not Debian?

What is with everyone supporting Ubuntu? Yes it is popular, and those that run Debian know that Ubuntu supported products will work but not necessarily the other way around. I mean way more distros spawn from Debian, and its not like Ubuntu provides a stabler platform to support. I guess Ubuntu just provides a company to work with.

Comment

More of our customers report using Ubuntu than Debian (at least 2x as many); if we believed that making the driver work with Debian would magically make it work on all the Debian derivatives as well then I think we would be considering that, but so far that hasn't been the case. The changes between Debian and the downstream distros can be pretty significant.

We also see more OEM interest in pre-loading Ubuntu than in pre-loading Debian.
                Last edited by bridgman; 17 April 2009, 03:34 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Huh ? Xvideo has been redirecting for a few months already. Are you saying that it never worked for you, or that it stopped working in 9.4 ?

If you want unredirected Xv then just turn off the compositor. You can't use unredirected outputs under a compositor anyways.
                  I say about that; Xvideo works but is very unstable with compiz ( when I resize window) (since 9.1 to 9.4).

Yes. I know. It isn`t simple. I can see similar problems in my corporation. I work as SCM in DoCoMo project. :]
                  Last edited by h5n1; 17 April 2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

If you are having problems when resizing to full screen, check and see if the "unredirect fullscreen windows" option is set in Compiz. There were some reports of problems with on-the-fly redirecting; if that's your issue then turning off the unredirect option should help.
                    Test signature

Comment

I found out that every fglrx driver I tested yet crashes vdrift test in pts on exit. How many mounth will it take to fix that bug?

Comment

Working...
                      X