No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.4 Finally Brings X Server 1.6 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got xinerama working? Since the 8.8 release I still waiting for this feature. ATM there are only total crahses of the system when xinerama is on.

Comment

I have posted a bug report about the savage2 issue here:

Going through a number of reports I notice a lack of feedback, can we have confirmation that they aren't just met by a brick wall? That and the fact the forms haven't been updated since 9.1...

Comment

Thanks do not go to me but the bloke who replied on the ati bugzilla.

~/.savage2/game/startup.cfg:
        SetSave vid_fullscreen "false"

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
          Anyone solved savage2 bug ? or got a workaround ? on final 9.4 it doesnt even start, but on 9.4RC was working like a charm ;/
          A patch just went up for Savage 2 that works around this fglrx issue (broken glXCloseWindow). You can update to it by running the dedicated server and letting it autoupdate (will take a minute or so for the update to begin).

Comment

@Heiko
            I'm have had working dual-screen with two monitors and they have different resolutions and after messing around with my config after a driver upgrade everything got broken so I had to redo everything..

The good thing is that I now have all the commands that I did to make it working.

Might not be needed, but I want to be sure to have fresh config.
            sudo cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

sudo aticonfig --initial=dual-head --screen-layout=horizontal

Here you just add the resolution you want on your two heads
            sudo aticonfig --add-pairmode=1680x1050+1280x1024

I'm not using the tv-out on my HD2900XT but I guess you need to do
            sudo aticonfig --enable-monitor=tmds1,tv
            or something similar to activate the tv-output

After this you need a xorg.conf with 2 device entries and 2 screen entries, something similar to this:

My xorg.conf is still a bit messy, but it's working now so I don't dare to change anything at the moment :P

Comment

oh, and after doing this you'll get a xrandr like this:

Comment

Xv, GL video plugins with Compiz

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 x64 with fglrx 9.4 and ATI 4870.
                With compiz enabled (AIGLX):
                When i try to get video output through xv, i get very high cpu usage,
                when i am trying to get video with through GL plugin i get serious flickering.

Is there any workaround, without disabling compiz?

Comment

Are you using the early 9.4 which was bundled with Jaunty, or the final 9.4 we released a couple of days ago ? The early driver did *not* have Redirected Direct Rendering, ie it would flicker when displaying GL under Compiz.

Going from memory, I think you want 8.602 in the release string. The early driver still starts with 8.60 but had a lower number IIRC.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Are you using the early 9.4 which was bundled with Jaunty, or the final 9.4 we released a couple of days ago ? The early driver did *not* have Redirected Direct Rendering, ie it would flicker when displaying GL under Compiz.

Going from memory, I think you want 8.602 in the release string. The early driver still starts with 8.60 but had a lower number IIRC.
                    I made a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04-rc x64 and applied all available updates.

The package version in ubuntu is:
                    xorg-driver-fglrx 2:8.600-0ubuntu2

and the module release string
                    ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: 8.60.4

Comment

I think you're running the early driver we provided for inclusion with Jaunty. That driver is a pre-release version of Cat 9.4 and does *not* provide flicker-free GL under Compiz.

You need to download the Catalyst 9.4 driver from amd.com, build packages for your distro, then install the resulting package. I haven't heard of an official Cat 9.4 package in the Ubuntu repository.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X