Radeon Driver Gets Reworked Textured Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    We weren't able to give Michael much warning... the review and cleanup dragged on for a long time, then all of a sudden it was done
    Sounds like my parents when I turned 18. They wouldn't really let me move out. Then I turned 20, and they couldn't get me out quick enough

I have a screenshot of this as my desktop background I think it gets more and more beautiful for each iteration

Altought some of the blocks seem odd. E.g. How can R700 have "Unknown" for "Suspend Support" and "Console restore", when R700-RHD don't?

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
      Would it be too much bias towards the world to let you handle some of the AMD-related news updates on Phoronix? XD
      The way everyone complains about the tiniest typo in Michael's articles ? No way, I didn't sign up for that kind of abuse
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        I have a screenshot of this as my desktop background I think it gets more and more beautiful for each iteration
        This is kind of sick in a cute manner.

Comment

I obviously need a bigger screen. I have to scroll back and forth so much that I forget what feature I was looking at

Altought some of the blocks seem odd. E.g. How can R700 have "Unknown" for "Suspend Support" and "Console restore", when R700-RHD don't?
          It usually just means that nobody with a 7xx card running radeon has updated the Wiki recently. We talk about "community" as if it's a vast and homogenous thing but there are only about three people updating that wiki page.

But I know how to use wavelets to predict earth quakes Not a joke.
          Seems to me that some kind of API for earthquake prediction on a GPU would be more useful than XvMC.
          Test signature

Comment

I obviously need a bigger screen. I have to scroll back and forth so much that I forget what feature I was looking at
            CTRL+- is your friend Firefox even remembers the zooming, so it is perfect for the wiki

It usually just means that nobody with a 7xx card running radeon has updated the Wiki recently. We talk about "community" as if it's a vast and homogenous thing but there are only about three people updating that wiki page.
            Fair enough. It will be interesting to see how old cards that can support OpenCL. Of course those red blocks will ruin my desktop background

Seems to me that some kind of API for earthquake prediction on a GPU would be more useful than XvMC.
            That would actually be very useful! We took turns for using a FPGA for the calculations, and it had cost the university where I study a fortune to get manufactured. Just the mask had costed ~$2000.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
              This is kind of sick in a cute manner.
              No no, you have me all wrong. I have cut away the text boxes, so it is only the coloured blocks I have on my desktop

Comment

Btw. I just want to say thank you SOOOOOO MUCH to all of AMD for making this happen!

It is a tremendous testimony to Linux and the open source environment, that you have leaded the way that graphics drivers don't have to be a secret.
                Whoa, one thing at time, we just recently seen a tease of powerplay and now these two spectacular achievements

I presume the powerplay, textures and 3D are for xf86-video-ati only right?

Comment

The power-saving code went into -ati 'cause it covers from r1xx through r7xx. Yangman is finishing up something similar for radeonhd. The textured video changes also cover all of the radeon generations so went into -ati as well.

3D code is in mesa and drm, so should work equally well with -ati and -radeonhd.
                  Test signature

Comment

Nice! Is this textured video accel supported on every chip, so also on R600/700? And how can I use this acceleration in, let's say, mplayer?
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                      Nice! Is this textured video accel supported on every chip, so also on R600/700? And how can I use this acceleration in, let's say, mplayer?
                      Thanks!
                      This is exposed as an Xv adaptor, so you shouldn't have to do anything as mplayer and most other video players try to use Xv by default.

Comment

Working...
                      X