Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 Release Candidate Pushed Out

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 Release Candidate Pushed Out

We are just one week away from the release of Ubuntu 9.04 and with that it is now time for the Jaunty Jackalope release candidate. Ubuntu 9.04 features the GNOME 2.26 desktop, X Server 1.6, and the Linux 2.6.28 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In American English, "release pushed out" means, "release delayed until a later date."

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
      In American English, "release pushed out" means, "release delayed until a later date."
      I thought the same thing when I saw the headline, heh. "pushed out to mirrors" or something would be more obvious.
      Last edited by kurros; 16 April 2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

That mean new frglx driver next week... just before new Ubuntu's release.

Comment

Originally posted by nico342 View Post
          That mean new frglx driver next week... just before new Ubuntu's release.

Yes, but ... the new version of X.org (1.6) only supports Catalyst 9.4, which drops support for R3xx, R4xx and R5xx based chipsets. I'm running the Jaunty beta on a laptop I purchased a year and a half ago, and the X1200 chipset in it is now deprecated in the proprietary ATI driver.

On the plus side, the open source ati driver looks better than ever and continues to improve. 2D acceleartion has never been better, and has what appears to be full support for "desktop effects". On the minus side, 3D support is "still in the works".

Comment

Originally posted by zoward View Post
            Yes, but ... the new version of X.org (1.6) only supports Catalyst 9.4, which drops support for R3xx, R4xx and R5xx based chipsets. I'm running the Jaunty beta on a laptop I purchased a year and a half ago, and the X1200 chipset in it is now deprecated in the proprietary ATI driver.

On the plus side, the open source ati driver looks better than ever and continues to improve. 2D acceleartion has never been better, and has what appears to be full support for "desktop effects". On the minus side, 3D support is "still in the works".
            My card is still supported on frglx (I have a 2400HD), I have anoying video tearings... maybe "RadeonHD" drivers will is better for HTPC... just a matter of time to switch.....

Comment

X1200 chipset

Originally posted by nico342 View Post
              My card is still supported on frglx (I have a 2400HD), I have anoying video tearings... maybe "RadeonHD" drivers wdriill is better for HTPC... just a matter of time to switch.....
              Alas, the X1200 chipset in my year-and-a-half old laptop is not, which leaves me in the vacuum between being supported by the proprietary driver, and having full 3D support on the open source driver ... unless I choose not to upgrade to Jaunty on my laptop ... Hmmm ...

Comment

Originally posted by zoward View Post
                Alas, the X1200 chipset in my year-and-a-half old laptop is not, which leaves me in the vacuum between being supported by the proprietary driver, and having full 3D support on the open source driver ... unless I choose not to upgrade to Jaunty on my laptop ... Hmmm ...
                So in fact I just want to be able to play "correctly" videos (I'm not playing game on my HTPC). I'm currently using XBMC and it so great for that. I'm just looking now for the best driver on video playback. Playing SD files and trying sometimes some lower HD files (720p).
                My machine is not really powerful but I'm pretty it might be enought (Intel Atom 330 1.6Ghz + ATI 2400HD pci).

Comment

Working...
                X