Thread: Status of FireGL products (M7740)?

Default Status of FireGL products (M7740)?

Hi,

My dad has a notebook with a FireGL M7740 card, has installed Ubuntu on it, and enabled the proprietary drivers. For 3D intensive applications it works quite well, however the desktop is all choppy. I tried using the opensource driver.
    Now to the opensource part :
    I tried installing the opensource radeon driver from xorg-edgers, and either failed miserably or it just didn't work. Knowing my way better around Fedora (and pretty much any other distro than ubuntu) a lot better, I fired up the LiveCD, and Modesetting worked perfectly. However there was no 3D acceleration (glxinfo reported LLVMPipe as renderer). That was a surprise.

My question is : what is the status of the support of this card? I read up and discovered that it's based on the RadeonHD 4860. Knowing that the 4XXX series are quite well supported, I'm confused....

Thanks,

Serafean

Quote Originally Posted by Serafean View Post
    My question is : what is the status of the support of this card? I read up and discovered that it's based on the RadeonHD 4860. Knowing that the 4XXX series are quite well supported, I'm confused....
    It might just be a set of PCI IDs that the developers haven't seen yet, or microcode missing, or...

Can you pastebin the xorg log and dmesg output and put links here ? Alternatively maybe ask on #radeon and supply the same info.

Hi,

dmesg : http://pastebin.com/Rx8qDmMJ
    xorg : http://pastebin.com/Vr2gBJjN

relevant lspci : 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M97 GL [ATI FirePro M7740]

This is from a Fedora 16 LiveCD, no modifications (I don't have the guts to mess with the ubuntu installation anymore).

I don't have much time atm, maybe after New Year's I could pop into #radeon

Thanks for your interest,

Serafean

The driver looks like it's loaded fine in your dmesg and mesa has the pci id for your card.
    Last edited by agd5f; 12-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.

You might want to set LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose and run a gl app (like glxgears). Hopefully it will tell you why you're getting software rendering.

Hi,
    The driver looks like it's loaded fine in your dmesg and mesa has the pci id for your card.
    That's what I thought, hence my great confusion :-)

Here goes :
    Code:
    [root@localhost liveuser]# LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to create dri screen
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
    libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
    libGL: Can't open configuration file /root/.drirc: No such file or directory.
    XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
          after 4783 requests (4781 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    Again on the LiveUSB of Fedora 16.

Serafean

Why do you try it as root?

Why do you try it as root?
    Because it reminded me of a permissions problem I encountered several years ago... (couldn't access /dev/drm or something) Just making sure. The output was exactly the same for the regular user.