Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full System freeze in Team Fortress 2 with Ati X1950

Hi there,

I've been having massive trouble with trying to get Team Fortress 2 running on Ubuntu Intrepid with any version of Wine or graphics drivers.

Firstly my problem, I load up Steam, lunch TF2, select a server and start playing. after anything from 2-20 minutes my system will completely freeze, no key combinations will let me escape and the only way to get out of this state is to reset, I hate having to do this.

My system specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo,
    Ati Radeon X1950,
    With Catalyst 9.3 drivers
    Wine version 1.1.19

This problem has been happening since I've installed Ubuntu and the stable build of Wine at the time (1.x). I've also had the same results using fglrx drivers.

My Wine registry Direct3D settings:

OffscreenRenderingMode = fbo
    PixelShaderMode = enabled
    UseGLSL = enabled
    VideoMemorySize = 512
    VideoRamSize = 512

My Launch settings for TF2:

-dxlevel 80 -w 1280 -h 1024 -sw -noborder -novid -heapsize 512000 +map_background none

the only thing I've noticed to have made any difference is setting the details in-game down to the very minimum. the higher the detail the sooner it will crash.

I do play other games on this system without any sign of hardware failure, and watch video also. Finally I'm pretty certain that with a previous version of Ubuntu, perhaps 7.10, I did have TF2 running much more successfully.

Any ideas how to stop my system from freezing, or a better way to debug this?

Cheers,

Blaise.

Maybe winehq can help...

Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

... a lot of people seem to experience freezes.
    Last edited by Ren H?ek; 16 April 2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X