What is your preferred way to game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your preferred way to game?

I thought we could start an interesting poll. This is a multiple selection poll of what you find yourself capable of doing to get games on Linux. It seems that we always get some very hot debate on games and solutions like CrossOver and LGP and their DRMs. Might be interesting to see what the Phoronix population thinks.
    Play Open Source Linux Games
    30.14%
    Wine-Gaming (No real Linux port, Grab Wine and make the WinGame work!)
    9.59%
    CrossOver/Cedega (No real Linux port, buy special Wine Builds and get Windows disk to work!)
    4.11%
    Cedega-Spore-way (No real Linux port, Buy the Windows disk with a special Wine/Cedega build)
    0.00%
    IdSoft-way (Buy Windows disk and stick it into Linux client)
    23.29%
    LGP-way (Buy Linux game disk)
    23.29%
    LGP-way-DRMed (Buy Linux game disk with DRM - LGP stipulations apply)
    9.59%

The poll is expired.

One option missing: Native client by the developer. That's the best way, no poll required. If you though mean "how to get" games on Linux then it's LGP-way.

Comment

One option that should be there is "Play in other OS or with a Console".

Comment

Dragonlord:
        Well, the native client, I think would fall under LGP way. But I guess that's a bit of a leap of a generalization. I guess there's no other way to put it but LGP puts out native clients so it'll have to cover for all of them.

deanjo:
        I was only interested in the PC gaming front, so well... that kind of scratches out both of those options.

Comment

Windows counts as PC too. (PC means windows really, at least to the general public...)

Comment

Okay... that counts but maybe I should be specific. Linux PC gaming.

Hope that covers it!

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
              Okay... that counts but maybe I should be specific. Linux PC gaming.

Hope that covers it!
              OK then there should be at least then the option of running it in a VM? Unity mode in VMWare actually works for alot of stuff. (When the PITA factor gets to great for one of the other options VM's can be great. Especially when they offer 3d nowdays.)

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                OK then there should be at least then the option of running it in a VM? Unity mode in VMWare actually works for alot of stuff. (When the PITA factor gets to great for one of the other options VM's can be great. Especially when they offer 3d nowdays.)
                You certainly are persistent, are you?! lol

I don't think there's a way to edit that in though, and with the poll already having started, it wouldn't be fair to modify it.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                  You certainly are persistent, are you?! lol

I don't think there's a way to edit that in though, and with the poll already having started, it wouldn't be fair to modify it.
                  Fair enough, truth be known most of my gaming in linux is via MAME

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Fair enough, truth be known most of my gaming in linux is via MAME
                    Any more, I play pretty much all of my console games emulated anyway, because I can't just bring my SNES anywhere like I can with my laptop (I am not Benjamin Heckendorn). Once I found out that ZSNES had support for libao, pretty much all of my resistance disappeared.

As far as the real topic, I'm liking the 2D Boy way: Find someone to port it and sell it online. Best $20 I've spent in years. But mark me for native OSS and native LGP preferential.

Comment

Working...
                    X