Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Linux-based Benchmarking With Sandtorg

Phoronix: Driving Linux-based Benchmarking With Sandtorg

We have invested a lot of resources into enriching the Linux hardware experience particularly by improving Linux performance benchmarks and taking the necessary steps to make Linux-based benchmarking an attractive offer for hardware and software vendors. We have also strived to ensure that open-source developers understand the importance of automated testing and that they have the proper tools to fully automate tests relevant to them when looking for performance regressions and other conditions that otherwise would not easily be caught in an efficient and effective manner. At the same time, we have sought to standardize the benchmarking process of Linux desktops to make it easier for end-users and companies when looking to gauge how well something works on Linux. The Phoronix Test Suite has made immense progress over the past year, but today it is now time to expose our latest endeavor, Sandtorg.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A lot of interesting progress on many fronts Michael!

(Definitely think that maximizing automated testing/analysis on all fronts [performance, security, resources, code correctness] is a must for FOSS to be as efficient as possible with the developer/testing resources we have)

Comment

it would be nice if the generated graphs offered at least more than 2 colors... dark green on green is stupidly pitiful (at least the ones phoronix uses on its website.) Are those two ugly colors the only ones available??

Comment

Originally posted by soros View Post
        it would be nice if the generated graphs offered at least more than 2 colors... dark green on green is stupidly pitiful (at least the ones phoronix uses on its website.) Are those two ugly colors the only ones available??
        Uhhh it's completely configurable... From the GUI there's even a color wheel you can pick from with the preferences. If doing it from the CLI, there is an XML file that contains all of the color codes.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Uhhh it's completely configurable... From the GUI there's even a color wheel you can pick from with the preferences. If doing it from the CLI, there is an XML file that contains all of the color codes.
          Perhaps the graphs you use in your benchmarking articles should be color coded. It's your job to show off what PTS can do, after all!

Comment

"stupidly pitiful" / "it's your job" ...as the web is open to mis-interpretations, a little considered commentary might be received better...

I for one thank Michael for his efforts as testing overlord ;-)

Sounds like some people would like a different colour scheme or legend to make graphs easier to read. I know I wouldn't mind seeing a benchmark system shown with reviews (say having a core 2 along side a reviewed i7), should a system be available. Perhaps the test suite could include some "standard" scores (although that would likely become irrelevant or inaccurate very quickly)... that being said, I've largely just enjoyed the reviews and haven't yet played with the test suite yet to understand its capabilities (and on my old system I'm a bit scared to see the scores ;-) )
            Last edited by Craig73; 14 April 2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

so... still no KDE/Qt benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                so... still no KDE/Qt benchmarks?
                In what regard?

gtkperf and qgears2 have long been in PTS that use GTK and Qt4, respectively, for testing.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

sorry, that was supposed to be in this thread.

Anyway, I just figured Qt/KDE benchmarks didn't exist since they weren't used at all in the comparion between Kubuntu and PC-BSD

Comment

Working...
                  X