No announcement yet.

Kernel Mode-Setting Coming To OpenSolaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the Linux trolls please stop with the trolling? This is a thread about KMS getting into OpenSolaris, not an operating system war thread.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Could the Linux trolls please stop with the trolling? This is a thread about KMS getting into OpenSolaris, not an operating system war thread.
      So why are you trolling here? Tell the same your trolly friends. Some of us try to figure out if there's any good reason to duplicate work. As fanboy you don't see this. Oh, you even fear to show your real nick...
      Last edited by kraftman; 19 April 2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        So why are you trolling here? Tell the same your trolly friends. Some of us try to figure out if there's any good reason to duplicate work. As fanboy you don't see this. Oh, you even fear to show your real nick...
        For the "duplication" see Alanc' reply, DRI is under BSD license, so there's no duplication. As for trolling, I thought I've seen you on the forums here asserting that ZFS is slow without backing up your words ?

Comment

Originally posted by etacarinae View Post
          For the "duplication" see Alanc' reply, DRI is under BSD license, so there's no duplication. As for trolling, I thought I've seen you on the forums here asserting that ZFS is slow without backing up your words ?
          Just look at Linux vs OpenSolaris I/O benchmarks (here, at Phoronix). I said in some post what I think about it (I was talking about using it on desktop). ZFS is/may be 'slower' then EXT4 or other file systems, but has some features which give it great advantage over other fs in some environments. It's still duplication for me, because I want they to work only on Linux :> I'm just looking at things from my point of view. Btw. BTRFS will probably be 'slower' than EXT4 too.

Comment

Just look at Linux vs OpenSolaris I/O benchmarks (here, at Phoronix). I said in some post what I think about it (I was talking about using it on desktop). ZFS is/may be 'slower' then EXT4 or other file systems, but has some features which give it great advantage over other fs in some environments. It's still duplication for me, because I want they to work only on Linux :> I'm just looking at things from my point of view. Btw. BTRFS will probably be 'slower' than EXT4 too.
            Given how the phoronix test suite is written, I'm not accepting any of their results until they will start using gcc 4.4 on opensolaris as well, and not 3.4. It took me less than 20 minutes to compile binutils 2.19.1 and gcc 4.4RC on my laptop, if they can't do it to show actual results, I don't see why they bother running their "test suite" on opensolaris in the first place...

P.S. Oracle is buying Sun, so I wonder what will happen to btrfs given that they already have ZFS...

Comment

FYI I'm personally a Linux user, I just don't see any point in arguing whether or not an OS should exist. That's inherently being a flamebait. Even if I did not consider it that bad, this isn't the right thread. Move on.

Comment

Originally posted by etacarinae View Post
                Given how the phoronix test suite is written, I'm not accepting any of their results until they will start using gcc 4.4 on opensolaris as well, and not 3.4. It took me less than 20 minutes to compile binutils 2.19.1 and gcc 4.4RC on my laptop, if they can't do it to show actual results, I don't see why they bother running their "test suite" on opensolaris in the first place...

P.S. Oracle is buying Sun, so I wonder what will happen to btrfs given that they already have ZFS...
                It was only for backing up my words Maybe we'll have them both now (as someone stated ZFS!=BTRFS) :>

P.S. Oracle is using Solaris too, so it's possible they won't let it just die:

There are substantial long-term strategic customer advantages to Oracle owning two key Sun software assets: Java and Solaris.

@nanonyme

If you don't see a point it doesn't mean others don't see it too. I don't care what system are you using.
                Last edited by kraftman; 20 April 2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I don't care what system are you using.
                  You labeled me a Solaris fanboy, I simply noted I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                  X