Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xv video problems dual monitor setup

Hi everybody.

I'm using ubuntu 9.04 in a e5300 c2d, 4GB, ati X850XT 256mb. I've got 2 monitors connected, 19" 1280x1024 (left) and 23,5" 1980x1080 (right). When using them both i can't use "visual effects" and I cant play video with Xv output in the right monitor, just until 2/3 of the screen, the other 1/3 is corrupted and video stretches to enter into the fist 2/3 of the screen.
    Video is ok when usin gl output but highly demanding and with tearing problems sometimes.

I'm using free drivers, not catalyst.

?any ideas? Thanx.

Originally posted by rafanpiro View Post
    Hi everybody.

I'm using ubuntu 9.04 in a e5300 c2d, 4GB, ati X850XT 256mb. I've got 2 monitors connected, 19" 1280x1024 (left) and 23,5" 1980x1080 (right). When using them both i can't use "visual effects" and I cant play video with Xv output in the right monitor, just until 2/3 of the screen, the other 1/3 is corrupted and video stretches to enter into the fist 2/3 of the screen.
    Video is ok when usin gl output but highly demanding and with tearing problems sometimes.

I'm using free drivers, not catalyst.

?any ideas? Thanx.
    Your desktop is larger than the limits of the 3D engine on that chip. Your desktop size must be 2048x2048 or smaller to use desktop effects, etc.

Comment

Ok, I understand the limits of the 3d engine, but shouldn't xvideo be a 2d engine?
      Is there any chip with bigger 3d limits?

Thanx.

Comment

Xv uses the 3D engine when running with Textured Video. Compiz (which is what gives you "desktop effects") also uses the 3D engine.

The 5xx family (X1300 and up) has a 4K limit, and the 6xx/7xx family has an 8k limit (vs 2K for your GPU).

You might be able to get video on the entire area by using Video Overlay instead of Textured Video, but you would still have to keep Desktop Effects turned off (overlay won't work with desktop effects anyways).
        Last edited by bridgman; 10 April 2009, 09:18 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

I should say that today I've powered on the computer and now xv work on both screen completely. Don't know why because I haven't done anything.
          Mplayer with xv output works perfect. Last day I tried to activate desktop effects, could it be the reason why xv failed to work? That trying to activate effects made xv to stop working pass 2560px wide (1280+(~2/3)*1980?

Thanks again

Comment

Turning desktop effects off will definitely help. I think you would still run into Xv problems with a single large video window but I guess as long as the video window is smaller than the hardware limit you should be OK.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by rafanpiro View Post
              I should say that today I've powered on the computer and now xv work on both screen completely. Don't know why because I haven't done anything.
              Mplayer with xv output works perfect. Last day I tried to activate desktop effects, could it be the reason why xv failed to work? That trying to activate effects made xv to stop working pass 2560px wide (1280+(~2/3)*1980?

Thanks again
              The driver exposes both the overlay and the textured Xv adapters. There is only one overlay so it can only be used by one app at a time on one head at a time and it is not compatible with composite (which is used to provide desktop effects - hw limitation). There are multiple textured video ports, but there are limited by the 3D engine (2560x2560 max render target in your case). If you have multiple Xv ports in use, only one will use the overlay. Also, enabling desktop effects may force the use of the textured ports since the overlay is not compatible with composite.

Comment

Working...
              X