WINE 1.1.19 Comes With Cleaner Direct3D Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by remm View Post
    The Wine devs are totally out of touch with reality though, focusing on ESD rather than integrating available patches ( http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10495 ). It does not really matter though since distros do that for them, but still ... I don't have the impression this project will ever get to a good level of quality.
    AFAIK this PulseAudio patch had problems with playing DirectSound without crash. Now it has been fixed but here is another problem: you can't for example capture sound in CounterStrike 1.6
    I think it's a bad idea to integrate patch that still has many bugs.

Comment

The pulseaudio patch is half baked and we aren't really waiting for a pulseaudio driver in Wine as it is yet another wine audio driver. We have had a number of half baked drivers before (e.g. winenas, winearts, wineesd ..) because someone felt that our oss/alsa driver wasn't adequate for them but in the end those drivers never worked well. Especially not for gaming the extra latency was horrible and the APIs weren't really designed for that.

We have put years of development in our oss/alsa drivers and those are the ones which should be used. Even when we only had a good oss driver it took years for our alsa driver to be any good due to lack of driver quality and because it is very, very hard to write a wine audio driver which works well for general playback (e.g. winamp) and for gaming.

In the best world pulse should die and shouldn't force itself into apps. We just want to keep using our current audio drivers and pulse should be fixed. There is no good reason for having a native pulse driver. It takes too much time to get it right and it isn't worth the trouble. Other apps like quake4 and others really won't move to pulse either. (I hope that SDL won't add a pulse backend)

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
        (I hope that SDL won't add a pulse backend)
        Ummm

Code:
        export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse

Comment

Working...
        X