Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XreaL: The Most Advanced Open-Source Game Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The graphics on that engine look really good, I can only imagine if they had a good artist how it would look.

Comment

I donno. The screens don't blow off my socks to be honest and this has nothing to do with the artwork. But maybe this is indeed a bit an unfortunate map to showcase who knows.

Comment

Michael, you picked some places where the default "texture not found" texture shows for screenshots

GL 3.1 and glsl? What good is an open-source game having those when the open-source drivers can't then run the game at all?

The features look nice though. I wish good luck to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
          I don't really know how you get from glsl and binaries in svn to "this project will fade away".
          It's pretty normal for smaller projects for you to keep some binary stuff around that you haven't gotten around to integrate fully in the build system and that rarely changes.

Also the glsl code seems to be organized and nicely commented, might even be a good place for a newbie to get a feel for GLSL.

Anyway, good luck to the XreaL developers, I hope we can see a playable release soon
          (no prior judgement intended) well, it is clear that the codebase is a mess, and raw GLSL code is scattered all over the place, resulting in badly maintainable code.

And with only a bit of copy-paste-and-fill-in knowledge, it takes only 5 minutes to get a build system working for any project. The hard part is what comes next: automating unit tests, package installation, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Michael, you picked some places where the default "texture not found" texture shows for screenshots

GL 3.1 and glsl? What good is an open-source game having those when the open-source drivers can't then run the game at all?

The features look nice though. I wish good luck to the project.
            This is anyways bull. OpenGL doesn't know this version crap like DirectX does. I can use geometry shaders ( part of gpu4 stuff ) on my development box without a problem. As long as the extensions are exported everything is fine. So yes, you can run GL 3.x related stuff with GLSL anytime just look for the extensions to be there :P

Comment

My radeon drivers here say they support openGL 1.3. Which extensions provide GLSL again?

Comment

My radeon drivers here say they support openGL 1.3. Which extensions provide GLSL again?
                If you've got only 1.3 support, you don't have GLSL- moreover, you're going to have a bit of a difficult time running things other than something like Quake3/ioquake derived titles or something like Caster on that card with the current drivers. You definitely can't run Doom3/Quake4 or any other shader based engine if there's not a non-GLSL option in the render path on it.

Keep in mind, though, as long as they're not using GL 3.X specific functionalities, you should be able to run it soon enough with your FOSS drivers so long as you have an R300 or better- and maybe an R200 if the LLVM vertex backend does well enough on the vertex path stuff.

Comment

That was my point. There's no better in open stable drivers available, with Intel maybe an exception, but you can't play using those cards anyway.

Comment

That was my point. There's no better in open stable drivers available, with Intel maybe an exception, but you can't play using those cards anyway.
                    Heh... Contribute help with the drivers then or wait about 6 or so months for the proper support to gel there. Not everything will run on the stuff you have right at the moment- that's a fact of life and you know it. Complaining about not being able to do it and diminishing it on that basis is a bit...sour grapes...if you ask me...

Comment

I wasn't really complaining, merely stating the fact, and asking why an OSS game would use features you can't use on OSS drivers.
                      To me that defeats the point of being an OSS game.

Comment

Working...
                      X