Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 2.2.0 Released With Linux 3D Support

Phoronix: VirtualBox 2.2.0 Released With Linux 3D Support

Last month we shared that VirtualBox picked up 3D acceleration for virtualized Linux guests after Sun Microsystems had already delivered OpenGL acceleration and even Direct3D acceleration to Windows guests months earlier. This support for having hardware-accelerated OpenGL support in Linux guest operating systems came in a development release of VirtualBox 2.2, but today Sun Microsystems has officially updated its virtualization platform. VirtualBox 2.2.0 was released this morning with OpenGL 3D acceleration for Linux and Solaris guests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While the site gives instructions to install vbox2.2 on Intrepid, I think a mistake has been made, because here the files aren't available (they are available for hardy, gutsy, dapper, sarge, lenny and etch).
    So if anyone on the vbox Linux team is reading this: please fix it!

BTW: the .deb files for Intrepid *are* indexed by aptitude & synaptic, they're just not installable because they aren't available (yet). Temporary workaround: download and install the proper deb file manually here.

EDIT: this has been fixed now, I see.
    Last edited by JeanPaul145; 08 April 2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Well I see no improvement over the beta 2. Real 3d support is still far away for Linux guests.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Well I see no improvement over the beta 2. Real 3d support is still far away for Linux guests.
        Until this hits the Arch repos, which OpenGL version do the drivers report? VirtualBox 2.1.4 supported OpenGL 1.5.

Comment

Now I know the correct way for loading the vboxmouse driver and added the workaround in that script:

Can be used even in live mode. hal is really tricky... Btw. the 3d support is only enough for compiz not for KDE 4 effects.
          Last edited by Kano; 10 April 2009, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Ok, just installed and 3d is still at OpenGL 1.5 level (no GLSL, no FBOs).

Comment

Working...
            X