Raven's Wolfenstein and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven's Wolfenstein and Linux

Have anyone confirmed whether or not Raven's new Wolfenstein game will support Linux?

I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

I wouldn't bet against it.

Comment

Umm it's next id:s game release. Uses hevily modified id tech 4 engine(doom3) on opengl, so it should be very easy to port on linux(readed somewhere that linux ports are made from one guy in id-tech). Well all untrustworthy wikipedia even says that it will come to linux:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_(video_game)

Well I think it will be ported short after windows release. Maybe they release demo first... check the ftp site after windows release:
        ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff

Comment

Fingers crossed then!

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
            Umm it's next id:s game release. Uses hevily modified id tech 4 engine(doom3) on opengl, so it should be very easy to port on linux(readed somewhere that linux ports are made from one guy in id-tech). Well all untrustworthy wikipedia even says that it will come to linux:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_(video_game)

Well I think it will be ported short after windows release. Maybe they release demo first... check the ftp site after windows release:
            ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff
            Well it depends on who publishes it as well. Rage for example has a great big * when it comes to supporting linux as well. Carmack has given a solid "maybe" but given that EA is publishing it I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

Publisher for wolfenstein is activision as was for rtcw:
              Wolfenstein: Youngblood is the first modern co-op Wolfenstein adventure. Team up with a friend or play solo as one of BJ Blazkowicz’s twin daughters and wield a powerful arsenal of new weapons, gadgets, and abilities to liberate Paris from the Nazis.

Nah I don't believe that publisher matter a lot, if id want's to make port to linux they don't ad it with game-dvds. They just make a downloadable linux-binary installer on ftp site where you need data paks from game-dvd. For game servers there will absolutely come linux dedicated binaries.
              Last edited by tuke81; 07 April 2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                Publisher for wolfenstein is activision as was for rtcw:
                Wolfenstein: Youngblood is the first modern co-op Wolfenstein adventure. Team up with a friend or play solo as one of BJ Blazkowicz’s twin daughters and wield a powerful arsenal of new weapons, gadgets, and abilities to liberate Paris from the Nazis.

Nah I don't believe that publisher matter a lot, if id want's to make port to linux they don't ad it with game-dvds. They just make a downloadable linux-binary installer on ftp site where you need data paks from game-dvd. For game servers there will absolutely come linux dedicated binaries.
                Depending on the contract the developers sign the publisher can stop any port from happening, so yes they do make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                  Depending on the contract the developers sign the publisher can stop any port from happening, so yes they do make a huge difference.
                  Ask thousands of NWN2 fans how much a publisher can give the finger to the linux crowd. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Ask thousands of NWN2 fans how much a publisher can give the finger to the linux crowd. ;D
                    No kidding.

Everyone thinks that NWN was allowed by the publisher- if Atari had any real say in that one, it would not have happened. BioWare'd made commitments to the world and it was sort of a done deal for at least an unofficial Linux version of the thing (We won't get into the story of why we don't have an official published version...). And if you aren't a big boy like iD, 3DR, Epic, BioWare, etc. you're not going to be in a position to do what you want on things like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X