No announcement yet.

Nexuiz 2.5 Raises The Bar For Open-Source Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Nexuiz looks stunning. I can't believe this game is open source - it makes me so happy . Great job, Alientrap!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Nice improvement over 2.4 but that engine really could use Id Tech 4 to take it to the next level. No matter how much they improve the Darkplaces engine (based on the old quake 1 engine), it's technology is getting long in the tooth and all the fancy textures and lighting they add still doesn't improve the "straight as a ruler look" gameplay maps.
      Last time I checked, the "straight as a ruler" look was very popular for these kind of fast FPS. Just look at the popular HOLP mappacks for UT3.

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      Was it open-sourced already?
      No...

EDIT: Oh, and if it doesn't make Jaunty: www.getdeb.net

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
        Heck, I think we'd all be thrilled with just a .deb or PPA built for Jaunty, even if it didn't make the repo's.
        I think it's not completely necessary to have a .deb for this. You can just download it and run it from the extracted folder.

Comment

The previous version would only run semi-smoothly, on low settings, on my 2003 dinosaur of a PC. Are 2.5's improvements exclusively geared towards making it look pretty on newer hardware, or have there been real efforts to improve the engine's performance on legacy systems?

I always found it annoying that a game engine based upon the Quake 1 game engine performed only about half as well as the GPL'd Quake 3 engine does on the same hardware.

Glad to hear about the network improvements, though. I lagged like a bitch at the best of times with the previous version (though a fair portion of the blame belongs to Aust's oh-so-brilliant broadband network).

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
            The previous version would only run semi-smoothly, on low settings, on my 2003 dinosaur of a PC. Are 2.5's improvements exclusively geared towards making it look pretty on newer hardware, or have there been real efforts to improve the engine's performance on legacy systems?
            I've experienced a great performance improvement.

Comment

I'll see to getting nexuiz 2.5 on getdeb.net. So that would be intrepid and possibly hardy packages.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post

I always found it annoying that a game engine based upon the Quake 1 game engine performed only about half as well as the GPL'd Quake 3 engine does on the same hardware.

Glad to hear about the network improvements, though. I lagged like a bitch at the best of times with the previous version (though a fair portion of the blame belongs to Aust's oh-so-brilliant broadband network).
                Once you disable lightmaps, the FPS is improved

Comment

I love nexuiz, my only gripe with 2.5 is that the new HUD is less intuititive for my eyes when it comes to watching my health. Fortunately, the old one is an option.

When it comes to maps and whether they look old or new, there are a variety of great looking nexuiz maps, however a good chunk of the maps are older ones that just can't get made to look much better. If someone were to go through all the nexuiz maps available and repackage the good looking ones for inclusion as the main maps and drop the others, it'd go long way towards making the overall game appear better.

Of course all the maps are fun to play.

Comment

The explosions, e.g. when you should a rocket against a wall, look amazing, even on "high"

Comment

The only reason why I play this game is because of the grapple hook... it's really awesome on certain maps. However, that's the only thing that I find really unique about this FPS. My main problem with open-source gaming is that there are so many crappy quake clones (like this one).

Comment

Working...
                      X