Nexuiz 2.5 Raises The Bar For Open-Source Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drelyn86 View Post
    The only reason why I play this game is because of the grapple hook... it's really awesome on certain maps. However, that's the only thing that I find really unique about this FPS. My main problem with open-source gaming is that there are so many crappy quake clones (like this one).
    "is that there are so many crappy quake clones (like this one)."
    Drelyn: Go fuck yourself.
    Go fuck yourself to hell.
    Please do not play nexuiz. The "community" does not need any more demanding contribute-nothing players like you.

I, for one, will IPTable your ISP if I see you on my nexuiz server.
    (I'm not a nexuiz dev or anything, just a player that is appreciative of their work, and makes some third party maps... unlike you.)

You hate on free stuff, good job. Go to hell.
    Nexuiz does not exist to serve YOU drelyn. Nexuiz exists because the developers enjoy developing it, and the artists enjoy making new weapons or playermodels, and mappers enjoy making 3d architecture in it. Your demands and criticisms, drelyn, do not matter one bit because YOU do NOT contribute to ANYTHING: you do not matter. Please, don't play nexuiz drelyn.. you might find your pompus ass in the forums one day complaining or demanding things snidely (rather than coding anything yourself (BECAUSE YOU, DRELYN, ARE ___USELESS___))... and no one wants to listen to that (infact the main developer almost quit because of the volume of garbage no-contribution players demanding crap.)

Please drelyn, don't afflict the nexuiz community with your asshattery and bitchyness. Just walka walka walkaway.
    Last edited by asueekim; 06 April 2009, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Feel free to ignore the preceding post by MikeeUSA, who is clearly not representative of our community you can google his name to find out more.

First of all, Nexuiz is more similar to Unreal Tournament than to Quake, so please say it's an Unreal Tournament clone

Second of all, which are the other "crappy Quake clones"? I can only name one "somewhat known" one, and that is OpenArena - which is actually a pretty good clone of Quake 3 Arena (only map texturing is really lacking), which is no surprise, as OpenArena is intended to be a free (as in speech) clone of Quake 3 Arena and not more.

Nexuiz, however, is using an engine based on Quake 1, and Quake 3 Arena's map format with some engine specific extensions (deluxemapping, external lightmaps).

Similarities to Quake 1 include player movement (e.g. staying fast by repeatedly jumping), and the weapons/ammo system (shared ammo between weapons).

Similarities to Unreal Tournament are much greater, though - for example, every weapon (except for one) has two firing modes, there is no single player mode (other than botmatches), the extensive configurability really isn't matched by any "Quake clone", and there is various environments to play in (differently looking and behaving maps), which also is the case in none of the Quake series.

Nexuiz puts additional focus on inter-weapon combos (where Unreal Tournament just provides one intra-weapon combo), and fast player movement using trick jumps (mostly weapon explosion jumps, but also QW-style bunnyhopping, and extra movement devices like the Grappling Hook you mentioned and the Jet pack).

Note that all this is opposite to what "realistic shooters", like the well-known CounterStrike, or Tactical Ops, or Urban Terror, do. You won't do a grenade jump in these games... as it'd kill you. Environments will look mostly the same - as that's what matches reality better. Jumping doesn't make you faster in these games - as that's unrealistic, or have you seen the olympic runners do that? Also, in a realistic shooter, you won't find weapon pickup items on the map, but you'd have to buy them from money you got for your fighting. Also, in a realistic shooter, death is final, and you won't respawn as you do in Nexuiz.

If you are looking for a free realistic shooter, as opposed to arcade shooters like the Quake series and Unreal Tournament, you indeed are wrong with Nexuiz. However, I don't think any such shooter even exists yet. You might be interested in Tremulous though, which plays closest to a realistic shooter regarding player interaction, and you sort of "buy" stuff using your evo points. But beware, Tremulous is based on the Quake 3 engine, and way below Nexuiz on the graphical level (but on the other hand, it has much higher fps).

Comment

Originally posted by divVerent View Post
        Feel free to ignore the preceding post by MikeeUSA, who is clearly not representative of our community you can google his name to find out more.

First of all, Nexuiz is more similar to Unreal Tournament than to Quake, so please say it's an Unreal Tournament clone

Second of all, which are the other "crappy Quake clones"? I can only name one "somewhat known" one, and that is OpenArena - which is actually a pretty good clone of Quake 3 Arena (only map texturing is really lacking), which is no surprise, as OpenArena is intended to be a free (as in speech) clone of Quake 3 Arena and not more.

Nexuiz, however, is using an engine based on Quake 1, and Quake 3 Arena's map format with some engine specific extensions (deluxemapping, external lightmaps).

Similarities to Quake 1 include player movement (e.g. staying fast by repeatedly jumping), and the weapons/ammo system (shared ammo between weapons).

Similarities to Unreal Tournament are much greater, though - for example, every weapon (except for one) has two firing modes, there is no single player mode (other than botmatches), the extensive configurability really isn't matched by any "Quake clone", and there is various environments to play in (differently looking and behaving maps), which also is the case in none of the Quake series.

Nexuiz puts additional focus on inter-weapon combos (where Unreal Tournament just provides one intra-weapon combo), and fast player movement using trick jumps (mostly weapon explosion jumps, but also QW-style bunnyhopping, and extra movement devices like the Grappling Hook you mentioned and the Jet pack).

Note that all this is opposite to what "realistic shooters", like the well-known CounterStrike, or Tactical Ops, or Urban Terror, do. You won't do a grenade jump in these games... as it'd kill you. Environments will look mostly the same - as that's what matches reality better. Jumping doesn't make you faster in these games - as that's unrealistic, or have you seen the olympic runners do that? Also, in a realistic shooter, you won't find weapon pickup items on the map, but you'd have to buy them from money you got for your fighting. Also, in a realistic shooter, death is final, and you won't respawn as you do in Nexuiz.

If you are looking for a free realistic shooter, as opposed to arcade shooters like the Quake series and Unreal Tournament, you indeed are wrong with Nexuiz. However, I don't think any such shooter even exists yet. You might be interested in Tremulous though, which plays closest to a realistic shooter regarding player interaction, and you sort of "buy" stuff using your evo points. But beware, Tremulous is based on the Quake 3 engine, and way below Nexuiz on the graphical level (but on the other hand, it has much higher fps).
        Thanks! Your rebuttal was much more constructive. I have no problem being the person who is "wrong" in a discussion, as any correction is merely on opportunity to be liberated from one's own ignorance.

I can't ignore his post completely, however, because underneath all the infantile insults, he was actually trying to make a point. But it might have been a good idea for him to point me in the right direction in helping the Nexuiz community, rather than trying to do whatever it was that he was trying to accomplish...

Comment

Here are Ubuntu .debs: http://www.getdeb.net/app/Nexuiz

Comment

From jumping from 2.4.x I wouldn't say it'd "raise the bar". Until I see drivable vehicles (water, land and air), large terrains, environment, and some personality and charm in an open-source FPS game, the "bar" is pretty much going to stay where it's at (and yeah i'm guilty of not being able to move the bar either, but my personal ambitions damn well want to). Not saying the release is bad, but it's still pretty much the same FPS it was, just with more weapons, UI changes and some new maps, and the sounds replaced by something familiar SoundGeneralsylike cliches of a 'professional' sound designer.

The jetpack though does push the direction into something asking for a Broadside tribute though
            Last edited by leilei; 10 April 2009, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
              From jumping from 2.4.x I wouldn't say it'd "raise the bar". Until I see drivable vehicles (water, land and air), large terrains, environment, and some personality and charm in an open-source FPS game, the "bar" is pretty much going to stay where it's at (and yeah i'm guilty of not being able to move the bar either, but my personal ambitions damn well want to). Not saying the release is bad, but it's still pretty much the same FPS it was, just with more weapons, UI changes and some new maps, and the sounds replaced by something familiar SoundGeneralsylike cliches of a 'professional' sound designer.

The jetpack though does push the direction into something asking for a Broadside tribute though
              Well the large terrain part is possible: see the maps: "yourewinner" and "spirecontrol"

Both probably equal a mile or two or three square.
              Vehichles, randommap-by-tiles-generation, and a ton of other stuff would be great... that takes alot of developer time... so you must either help code it yourself or recruit capable programmers, etc.

Comment

I like it , I agree about the content - vehicles n stuff , get modelling!

edit:- wait no i love it

Comment

Rofl... hey leilei what the fuck are you doing here?

Comment

Working...
                  X