Curious of who uses what Distro wand why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    'modern' soso... the last time I had to install mp3 in an opensuse install it wasn't pleasant at all and a lot more than 'just klicking on an unofficial package'. It was like replacing every multimedia related app on the system - and ignoring some crap by the installer. I pulled it of. The girl who owned the computer wasn't able to.
    Then you have not tried opensuse in some time then I guess.

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/11.1 <--- one click install
    Last edited by deanjo; 05 April 2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

12 month ago. Recent enough?

Comment

12 month ago. Recent enough?
        lol, 1 click installs for opensuse have been around since 10.3 (Oct of 07). Seriously if my preteen kids have no issue getting them installed on their own.....

Comment

As always, this kind of thread dissolves into "the distro I'm using is better than yours!"

Comment

well, there is gentoo and slackware - and then there is crap.
            I don't bother with crap.

Comment

arch is broken.

Look at your /boot. How is the kernel binary named?
              By default? 'kernel26.img' I also have a custom 'kernel26-fastboot.img'. Your point?

Another Arch user here.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                By default? 'kernel26.img' I also have a custom 'kernel26-fastboot.img'. Your point?

Another Arch user here.
                crap. That isn't 'versioning' that is crap. No easy way to tell what version that kernel is and no way to have several kernels around.
                crap.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                lol, 1 click installs for opensuse have been around since 10.3 (Oct of 07). Seriously if my preteen kids have no issue getting them installed on their own.....
                I had not 'problems' it was just harder than it should be. And it is certainly not 'userfriendly' or 'easy'. With gentoo it is way, way easier.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  As always, this kind of thread dissolves into "the distro I'm using is better than yours!"
                  Are you suggesting there does exist another purpose to these threads?

Also, I use OpenSUSE. I like it how things work and how the OS doesn't automatically assume that I am a lobotomy patient (I say this while glaring at Apple and Microsoft).

Comment

I had not 'problems' it was just harder than it should be. And it is certainly not 'userfriendly' or 'easy'. With gentoo it is way, way easier.
                    Uhhuh, 1 click and type in your root pass is so hard. Of course you could of just enabled the packman repo (again a click) and hit upgrade to get all the unrestricted packages too or a simple zypper up command for the cli elite.

Seriously, how can you honestly say the pains of installing a gentoo system is easy but a one click install of multimedia is hard?
                    Last edited by deanjo; 05 April 2009, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      You can build from source from any distro. In fact I usually rebuild the critical openSUSE 64-bit packages (ones that do seem to benefit processor specific optimizations) from with the flags I want using the build service.
                      Most distro's aren't rolling releases though. (and making a build script script in arch is really easy compared to some of the others I've tried.)

arch is broken.

Look at your /boot. How is the kernel binary named?
                      Works fine for me, but then you say everything but gentoo and slackware are crap so your opinion does really count in my eyes.

My father managed just fine with openSUSE (codecs and all) but I seriously doubt he would be able to install gentoo. So openSUSE is user friendly and gentoo isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X