AMD Radeon HD 4890 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
    Simple mistake here on the second page; idle power for the 4890 should be 60 watts not 160 watts if we go by the statistics on the slides on the first page.

Anyways, great review on this just-released card! I was so shocked and happy to see my RSS feed show an article from you guys on the 4890 on the day of the official release. This was a very thorough guide and review. I find it very important because I am deeply considering purchasing an ATI Radeon 4890.

Thanks!

Edit: Actually, idle tests are showing it at 160 watts. Maybe the slide is wrong?
    The page you linked to was measuring total system power consumption at the outlet, not just the power usage of the card. That 160W idle was for the video card, cpu, motherboard, hard drive, AC/DC conversion losses, etc.

Comment

If you want to play games...buy a game console.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
        If you want to play games...buy a game console.
        Or install Windows.

Comment

Well what if I don't want to haul an extra gadget around? My 8600gt can play games just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            Well what if I don't want to haul an extra gadget around? My 8600gt can play games just fine.
            Have a kid and pack it in their knapsack

Comment

Yeah. It's along the "switch the distro if program X isn't working" type of thing

Comment

There's a box that can take a 4890 that you going to carry around with you just to play games?

Comment

I don't get what do you mean.

I already have a laptop, which I use for everything. (in fact it even has a decent-sized 1440x900 screen, not a tiny one with 3 buttons!)

Comment

I don't get what do you mean.

I already have a laptop, which I use for everything. (in fact it even has a decent-sized 1440x900 screen, not a tiny one with 3 buttons!)
                    3 buttons? pffft overkill. My Atari 2600 only need one button for even sports games.

Comment

Working...
                    X