Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 Beta vs. Fedora 11 Beta

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 Beta vs. Fedora 11 Beta

Last week marked the release of the Ubuntu 9.04 Beta and this week there is the planned release of the Fedora 11 Beta. Both distributions are similar in the respect they will be upgrading several common packages like GNOME 2.26, but in Fedora 11 are more upstream (and experimental) bits like kernel mode-setting, the EXT4 file-system by default, and various other features. Being the Linux benchmarking fanatics that we are, we set out to run a few performance tests comparing the Ubuntu 9.04 Beta to the latest Rawhide packages that will make up today's Fedora 11 Beta release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slow News Day?

For those looking forward to the Fedora 11 Beta, it should be formally released within a few hours
    Uhm, then why test a Rawhide build? (Admitting "builds of Fedora 11 do have various debugging options enabled.") Couldn't this wait until tomorrow?

Vote "Elvis" for Fedora 12 Codename!

Comment

On top of that comparing the two most bloated distros is pretty worthless IMO throw in some of the lighter ons like ArchLinux Debian and Slackware for good measure otherwise your just emitting propaganda and not real perspective

Comment

Thanks for doing this Phoronix.

It's interesting to see a sort of "regression" between the newer and older software, but it is my belief that a lot of the regressions get fixed through later small/bug-fix releases of the software. I think we will have to wait until the stable release of 2.6.29 to see significant or similar performance measurements.

cb88, though I do agree it would be neat to benchmark some of those distros you mentioned (I use arch myself), it seems like it would be harder to make it a fair game between each other since they are built by the user from the ground up.
        Likewise, quite a majority of Linux users use Fedora and Ubuntu as their distribution, so benchmarking them caters to a lot of people. Also, users like us, from arch, can see the performance between the software versions and make a decision for our own systems.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
          Uhm, then why test a Rawhide build? (Admitting "builds of Fedora 11 do have various debugging options enabled.") Couldn't this wait until tomorrow?
          The beta still has debugging options enabled.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            The beta still has debugging options enabled.
            Which makes both useless for benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              On top of that comparing the two most bloated distros is pretty worthless IMO throw in some of the lighter ons like ArchLinux Debian and Slackware for good measure otherwise your just emitting propaganda and not real perspective
              Define Arch Linux please :> Your Arch Linux, my or someone else Arch Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                Or maybe, just maybe, anyone who is a little bit level headed will know that this is just an appetizer and that this test isn't meaningful.

Besides, if this is such a big deal for you, why don't you help Michael? I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Comment

lol... what about gentoo or LFS X.x

well for debian there is the default install

well slackware is just what it is... most official packages are installed by default

and as far as Arch is custom package selection not an option these days... I guess gnome could be installed as the desktop for some comparability but even then there are loads of differences between gnome installs meh XD

so yeah maybe arch was a bad suggestion heh

Comment

Archlinux please!

Comment

Working...
                    X